Re: [art_education] drug paraphanalia in art

  • Wayong@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2002
      I primarily work with special needs kids & worked as a substance abuse
      counselor. After the kids would use the art time to create drug
      paraphanilia, I learned to be very firm in the beginning laying ground rules
      that if they are not able to complete the assignment appropriately, it would
      count against them &would receive no credit. Problem students/clients would
      be reported to the probation officers. They would have to do the project
      over on their time. Perhaps if any of you run across this problem, you can
      do something similiar at school. It would help if you have a supportive
      principal.
      I know some schools have a 'no drug paraphanilia' rule...if they are not
      allowed to wear t-shirts promoting it, they shouldn't be allowed to create it
      & receive credit. Student may have decreased desire to do art once they know
      this, though. Many of my former clients didn't want to do creative
      activities once they knew this.