Re: [art_education] Art history Class

  • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
      > I am looking to propose an intro art history class at the high school
      > level and was looking for feedback on a few things. I wanted the
      > course to be a social studies and art elective. Has any one done this?
      > I teach in NY and would love to tie this in to Regents Social
      > Studies. I have the art history end sorta figured out (helps visual
      > learners, most history is visually recorded-see any page of a history
      > textbook). But would like to know if anyone has any feedback or
      > comments on this
      > 1-how long (half/whole year)
      > 2- Was it successful why or why not
      > 3-Have you seen or heard of this being done?
      >
      > Thanks.....
      > Michele NY
      >
      > Michele.

      I taught art history for a semester for 4 years. I changed it to a
      semester long art apprectiation course this year. At the school I teach
      it wasn't too popular (a small rural school) I think you would have more
      success at a large, urban school. The kids would sign up thinking it was
      a traditional art course (even though the course description did not say
      that)
      > It is an elective and they did not like all the reading and test taking
      of core classes. I think it could be a big success depending on your
      student body, especially if you can teach AP art history. Good Luck!

      Susan in Missouri