Book Publishing

  • Pam
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2006
      Your student and his parent obviously do not realize the difficulty
      of taking materials to publication. There are many professional
      cartoonists who are vying for publications. The chances of an
      untrained cartoonist surfacing above that group would be small, but I
      would be hesitant to extinguish the student's desire to publish.

      If the student's work is that good, why don't you submit the work to
      magazines such as SchoolArts? On occasion teacher magazines run
      articles about young artists.

      Artsonia is another site where the artwork can be exhibited.

      I would encourage the student to continue learning about art (not
      only cartooning) and to learn how to apply general art skills to his
      chosen field. You might also encourage the student to locate
      sucessful cartoonists online and inquire as to how they started. An
      example: The animator/illustrator of my children's videos and books
      graduated from the School of Visual Art (NYC),worked as a layout
      artist for a magazine, and then worked for many years creating clip
      art and ads before he was able to break into his chosen field.

      From Northern AZ,
      Pam

      www.artresourcesforteachers.com