sticky tack

  • Hillmer, Jan
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
      This has got to be really down at the bottom of the important questions
      - till you have to hang art up in the halls.
      I have tried sticky tack and it will not stay up. Does it get old and
      no longer sticky? Do I have to knead it for a while? Or not at all?
      This is to hang on painted concrete block. I also tried some of that
      Stick and Peel stuff that someone suggested - it seems to work most of
      the time, but if something falls once it seems like the bond is broken
      and wont stick any more. The best luck for me is the wide packing tape,
      but heck, at this point, I'll try anything!
      Jan
    • Betsy Heeney
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
        I have been using very small dots of hot glue on the back of matted art work and placing it directly onto cement walls.  I met with the facilities manager to make sure that everyone knew what I was doing and demonstrated to him how it easily pops off.  The downside of couse, is that it might (not always) lift the paint off the concrete.  If the concrete is light colored, you can either touch it up or leave it. For some reason, my school administration didn't care.  The method is fantastic on windows....

        Good luck.

        "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:

        This has got to be really down at the bottom of the important questions
        - till you have to hang art up in the halls.
        I have tried sticky tack and it will not stay up. Does it get old and
        no longer sticky? Do I have to knead it for a while? Or not at all?
        This is to hang on painted concrete block. I also tried some of that
        Stick and Peel stuff that someone suggested - it seems to work most of
        the time, but if something falls once it seems like the bond is broken
        and wont stick any more. The best luck for me is the wide packing tape,
        but heck, at this point, I'll try anything!
        Jan

        Sponsored Link

        Degrees for working adults in as fast as 1 year. Bachelors, Masters, Associates. Top schools

      • Sarah Coullard
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
          I found a GREAT resource while at a conference recently.  They are called Stickees, and are similar to stickers, with a backing that you peel off.  They stick to cement block walls, come off easily, and don't leave a residue.  You won't have to worry about your artwork falling off the walls anymore because they hold tight to the wall.  Best of all, they are reuseable!  For instance, if you use them to stick a poster to a wall, you can remove the poster, and rehang the poster later.  They are pretty cheap, too.  $20.00 gets you 300 stickees.  They are about 2-3 inches in diameter, and can be cut into smaller pieces.

          www.stickees.net

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
            I am a first year teacher, and need some suggestions.  I have been having some students in my lower-el classes that are absent lately.  What do you do when they are absent?  Do you require them to finish a project when they are behind?  It's really hard for me to make time for them to finish when they are one class (or more) behind.  Especially when lower-el projects are typically finished in 3 class periods or less.
          • Kelli Wilke
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
              Jan ~
              I got this awesome white tape called Artist's tape from the Dick Blick catalog.  I bought it for matting purposes but it works great to hang things on concrete blocks.  I'm not sure what page it's on but it's probably either with the matting supplies or adhesives.  You could always look online and search under Artist's tape.  I love this stuff!

              Kelli in NE

              "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:

              This has got to be really down at the bottom of the important questions
              - till you have to hang art up in the halls.
              I have tried sticky tack and it will not stay up. Does it get old and
              no longer sticky? Do I have to knead it for a while? Or not at all?
              This is to hang on painted concrete block. I also tried some of that
              Stick and Peel stuff that someone suggested - it seems to work most of
              the time, but if something falls once it seems like the bond is broken
              and wont stick any more. The best luck for me is the wide packing tape,
              but heck, at this point, I'll try anything!
              Jan

              Sponsored Link

              $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!

            • aliteachesart
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 16, 2006
                Jan
                I use cream rubber cement. I paint it on the art (I mount on plain construction paper, but
                it will work on mats too) and slap it to the wall. I used it last year for the art show and
                nothing fell down. Work peels right off when you are ready and any extra cement can be
                rubbed off. If you search the list you'll find lots of other suggestions for hanging art too,
                but I swear by this stuff. Ali
              • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 27, 2006
                  > I am a first year teacher, and need some suggestions. I have been having
                  > some students in my lower-el classes that are absent lately. What do you
                  > do
                  > when they are absent? Do you require them to finish a project when they
                  > are
                  > behind? It's really hard for me to make time for them to finish when they
                  > are one class (or more) behind. Especially when lower-el projects are
                  > typically finished in 3 class periods or less.

                  Hi,
                  I teach K-12 art in a district. When I came there none of the elementary
                  students were ever expected to finish a project. When I got them in 7th
                  grade they had learned you never have to finish anything. As a result I
                  would have half the 7th graders failing at mid-term because all of a
                  sudden they had to finish everything. Now I require all students to
                  finish a project, regardless of age (they are expected to in all their
                  core classes). If they don't their grade reflects that. They come in
                  before school, after school or at recess to finish (or take it home if
                  that's possible). As a result, I rarely now have defiencies with 7th
                  graders because the expectation is you finish a project to get the grade.

                  Susan in Missouri
                • andy rohde
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 27, 2006
                    where in missouri do you teach....
                    and what district...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
                      > where in missouri do you teach....
                      > and what district...
                      >
                      > I teach in Harrisburg schools in Harrisburg, MO

                      Susan