Re: [art_education] question regarding degree

  • smjahnle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
      Hi guys -
      I've followed this interesting thread and had to put my two cents in also!  I teach Art to K through 8 in a private, parochial school in suburban Philadelphia.  I have a BFA in studio art and art history from 1980, worked in our art museum for 10 years until I "retired" to raise my children, and returned to graduate studies in education, receiving my elementary teaching certificate in 2002.

      I took a 7th grade position at the school, then was able to switch to Art after only one year when the Art teacher left to be home with her newborn.  I consider myself lucky to have this position, despite a huge number of students (three sections each of grades k thru 8), because of its good health plan, large new classroom with a sink and supply budget!

      I live in an area rich with colleges with terrific education programs - undergraduate and graduate - and there is much competition for teaching positions.  I keep an eye on and apply to the occasional public school art opening, and even had a few great interviews, but have always lost the position to applicants who had more years of teaching experience.  I sometimes wonder if I should have taken the art ed track, become certified to teach art way back as an undergrad, and how different life would have been with the bigger salary and benefits that would have produced!  But then I keep making and exhibiting my own art, and take courses with painters that I admire, try hard to transfer my love of art to my students, and realize that I am (mostly) satisfied with my situation!

      Thanks for listening -   SandyJ