Re: [art_education] Re: "I like it this way"

  • lpapanicolaou@pausd.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hate to say it, but it's a twisted response to 'there is no right or wrong in art'
      and the perception that anything is art if the artist says it is.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
        I teach all grades and my response varies according to their age and
        the amount of time I have. For high schoolers, it helps to have a set
        of grading objectives ready, and I can point out specific things, like
        neat paint lines. The bottom line for them is, "I don't like it that
        way, and I'm going to grade it. You need to spend some more time."
        Sometimes they answer this with "I don't care." and I reply that it's
        obvious. With younger students (whom I don't grade) I try to sit down
        and talk about how this or this shows that they don't care very much
        about this project. Real artists think about what they're doing and
        try their hardest. LIttle kids seem to want to please adults, and
        older kids want to please their peers, and it's important to get kids
        to correct their behavior at a young age. Help them WANT to care now,
        for their own sake. I do everything I can to make my students feel
        like they're "real" aritsts, and a poster of how artists think and
        behave helps.
        I hope this reply helps.
        K. Day
        NEVC, Missouri
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Wilson" <wilsonc@...> wrote:

        > Do you ever get kids who do a slip-sloppy job of a project, fast and
        > lazy, and then when you suggest improvements, say, "But I like it this
        > way"?
        >
        > So far all I can think of to say is "Do it my way the first time, then
        > you can do it your way the second time." :) good medicine for lazies.
        >
        > Cathy Wilson
        > Price, Utah

      • Marsha Carman
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2006

          I relate it back to other subjects. I always tell the students that if they were in English class and the teacher tells them to write a short story and they write a poem instead it doesn't matter how great the poem is or how much they "like it this way" it will receive no credit until it is done as assigned. I also tell them they are more than welcomed and encouraged to do it "their" way when they get home.

          Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with Live Search!