RE: [art_education] question regarding degree

  • Sarah Coullard
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
      When I was in high school, there was a girl in my class that was homeschooled for everything except art.  Apparently, the school (it was a public school) let her take art there, even though she wasn't enrolled in anything else.

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
        I've rarely seen any job openings for an Art Teacher in my state, Hawaii, especially in the Public School sector.  In the Private School sector, an art teaching job will pop up once in a great while but these are located in small private schools where the position is part time and the pay is very low.  What I've found in my experience, and also the way I got my job, is that if you really want to "teach" then you've got to get your foot in the door.  If you are certified to teach, then apply for any teaching job just to get your foot in the door.  If you're not certified to teach, then apply to small private schools where having a teaching certificate isn't always required, most private school require just a Bachelors Degree.  Once you get your foot through the door volunteer your artistic skills for school projects or events.  Keep up a good relationship with Administration and if, and when, the current art teacher leaves you will be in place to apply for her/his position.  If you just sit back and apply for only art teaching positions you won't get anywhere, unless of course you are really lucky.  Art teaching positions are far and few but most of all they are highly prized.  When my son graduated from the school that I teach at, there were quite a few teachers who approached me to ask if I was coming back the following year.  They had all assumed that without a child at the school I was going to leave like that last art teacher... but they were sadly mistaken.  When I jokingly told the Principal that I felt like a piece of carcass waiting to be eaten by vultures she laughed and said that she too had been approached by my fellow teachers and outside teachers asking if my position was open.  She told me the art position is the one position that she gets the most requests for by new applicants.  So, you see if you really want an art position you really need to get your foot in the door, prove yourself, get the classroom experience and play the waiting game.  Don't get discouraged remember there are other ways of teaching art to students while being a normal homeroom teacher instead of having the art teacher title.  My school has several lower grade teachers who add art to their class day and do great things.  Never limit yourself as to what you can teach or use your art in.  Hope this helps.

        Oh, on the question of a MA in Humanities... what can you do with that... anything, everything, whatever you want.  Remember art is all about the possibilities and there are so many possibilities for you if you just let step outside of the box.

        Good luck,
        cat in honolulu
        danielle <dmoskowitz@...> wrote:
        I'm not sure where you are located, but I am in NJ and have found it
        difficult, although I have found jobs. I would suggest applying to
        charter, private, and urban schools because they usually always need
        people.

      • smjahnle@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
          Hi guys -
          I've followed this interesting thread and had to put my two cents in also!  I teach Art to K through 8 in a private, parochial school in suburban Philadelphia.  I have a BFA in studio art and art history from 1980, worked in our art museum for 10 years until I "retired" to raise my children, and returned to graduate studies in education, receiving my elementary teaching certificate in 2002.

          I took a 7th grade position at the school, then was able to switch to Art after only one year when the Art teacher left to be home with her newborn.  I consider myself lucky to have this position, despite a huge number of students (three sections each of grades k thru 8), because of its good health plan, large new classroom with a sink and supply budget!

          I live in an area rich with colleges with terrific education programs - undergraduate and graduate - and there is much competition for teaching positions.  I keep an eye on and apply to the occasional public school art opening, and even had a few great interviews, but have always lost the position to applicants who had more years of teaching experience.  I sometimes wonder if I should have taken the art ed track, become certified to teach art way back as an undergrad, and how different life would have been with the bigger salary and benefits that would have produced!  But then I keep making and exhibiting my own art, and take courses with painters that I admire, try hard to transfer my love of art to my students, and realize that I am (mostly) satisfied with my situation!

          Thanks for listening -   SandyJ