RE: [art_education] question regarding degree

  • Kristi Gilleland
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
      Jeanette - Just to hold you over or give you another idea - I know most of the homeschoolers around this area are looking for art instruction.  It is an area that a lot of homeschool moms feel really inadequate with and so they look to pay for classes - individual classes and sessions.
      There is probably a good bit of money to be made for someone that wants to tap into this market.
      Some folks want private, in home tutoring.  Others want classes so the kids can socialize as well.  In those instances, it is often possible to offer your services to the larger craft stores with education rooms, or colleges that have continuing education departments.
      I've partnered with a local college here for a few classes.  It has been quite lucrative for both of us.  I've done some in-home tutoring and it was great - I even had a former student purchase some of my instructional time as a gift for christmas to a friend.
      It isn't a full time job, but it can pay well and someone creative in marketing themself could probably do fine with it.

      -Kristi

    • Eileen Ciavarella
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
        I agree with networking. I substituted and volunteered in the district that
        I have my job in now. Get to know everyone in the school from janitors to
        secretaries to principles to parents.

        Eileen

        >From: "CATHERINE FREDERICKSON" <dfrederickson992@...>
        >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [art_education] question regarding degree
        >Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:29:14 +0000
        >
        >I have moved a LOT and discovered that volunteering, substituting and
        >networking are the ways to get "in". Schools want to know something about
        >you so any community connections or 'informational' interviews you can
        >connect to are reallly helpful. I don't see a payback on more degrees,
        >experience is worth much more. Good luck!
        >Cathy
        >

        > >From: "danielle" <dmoskowitz@...>
        > >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: Re: [art_education] question regarding degree
        > >Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:51:31 -0500 (EST)
        > >
        > >I'm not sure where you are located, but I am in NJ and have found it
        > >difficult, although I have found jobs. I would suggest applying to
        > >charter, private, and urban schools because they usually always need
        > >people.
        > >

        > > > This may be off topic in a way- but I been applying for art teacher
        > > > jobs since graduation in dec 2003. I have YET to get work. (not for
        >the
        > > > lack of trying, I have applied for OVER 200 jobs in the past yr alone)
        > > > I was "forced" to return to school to avoid repayment of loans and am
        > > > currently getting my Master of arts degree in HUMANITIES!
        > > > Now my question is, what kind of jobs can I get with this degree? I am
        > > > so scared that I will graduate this time and still have the same
        > > > problem of not getting work and be very very deep in debt.
        > > > Any ideas??
        > > >

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > > >

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Sarah Coullard
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
          When I was in high school, there was a girl in my class that was homeschooled for everything except art.  Apparently, the school (it was a public school) let her take art there, even though she wasn't enrolled in anything else.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
            I've rarely seen any job openings for an Art Teacher in my state, Hawaii, especially in the Public School sector.  In the Private School sector, an art teaching job will pop up once in a great while but these are located in small private schools where the position is part time and the pay is very low.  What I've found in my experience, and also the way I got my job, is that if you really want to "teach" then you've got to get your foot in the door.  If you are certified to teach, then apply for any teaching job just to get your foot in the door.  If you're not certified to teach, then apply to small private schools where having a teaching certificate isn't always required, most private school require just a Bachelors Degree.  Once you get your foot through the door volunteer your artistic skills for school projects or events.  Keep up a good relationship with Administration and if, and when, the current art teacher leaves you will be in place to apply for her/his position.  If you just sit back and apply for only art teaching positions you won't get anywhere, unless of course you are really lucky.  Art teaching positions are far and few but most of all they are highly prized.  When my son graduated from the school that I teach at, there were quite a few teachers who approached me to ask if I was coming back the following year.  They had all assumed that without a child at the school I was going to leave like that last art teacher... but they were sadly mistaken.  When I jokingly told the Principal that I felt like a piece of carcass waiting to be eaten by vultures she laughed and said that she too had been approached by my fellow teachers and outside teachers asking if my position was open.  She told me the art position is the one position that she gets the most requests for by new applicants.  So, you see if you really want an art position you really need to get your foot in the door, prove yourself, get the classroom experience and play the waiting game.  Don't get discouraged remember there are other ways of teaching art to students while being a normal homeroom teacher instead of having the art teacher title.  My school has several lower grade teachers who add art to their class day and do great things.  Never limit yourself as to what you can teach or use your art in.  Hope this helps.

            Oh, on the question of a MA in Humanities... what can you do with that... anything, everything, whatever you want.  Remember art is all about the possibilities and there are so many possibilities for you if you just let step outside of the box.

            Good luck,
            cat in honolulu

          • smjahnle@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
              Hi guys -
              I've followed this interesting thread and had to put my two cents in also!  I teach Art to K through 8 in a private, parochial school in suburban Philadelphia.  I have a BFA in studio art and art history from 1980, worked in our art museum for 10 years until I "retired" to raise my children, and returned to graduate studies in education, receiving my elementary teaching certificate in 2002.

              I took a 7th grade position at the school, then was able to switch to Art after only one year when the Art teacher left to be home with her newborn.  I consider myself lucky to have this position, despite a huge number of students (three sections each of grades k thru 8), because of its good health plan, large new classroom with a sink and supply budget!

              I live in an area rich with colleges with terrific education programs - undergraduate and graduate - and there is much competition for teaching positions.  I keep an eye on and apply to the occasional public school art opening, and even had a few great interviews, but have always lost the position to applicants who had more years of teaching experience.  I sometimes wonder if I should have taken the art ed track, become certified to teach art way back as an undergrad, and how different life would have been with the bigger salary and benefits that would have produced!  But then I keep making and exhibiting my own art, and take courses with painters that I admire, try hard to transfer my love of art to my students, and realize that I am (mostly) satisfied with my situation!

              Thanks for listening -   SandyJ