Re: [art_education] "I like it this way"

  • lpapanicolaou@pausd.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
      Yes.

      I have learned that you can minimize this by giving clear expectations up front.
      Once a kid has said in his own mind that he's finished, it's very hard to get him
      to go back and work for improvement.

      Also worthwhile periodically to remind the whole class that art is not like the
      other core subjects where all you have to do is touch bases to show the teacher
      you know the right answer. In art you are creating art. Fast and lazy jobs are
      not art. Also, "I like it that way" is only half of being art. The other half is
      communicating to your viewer. What are you communicating with a painting
      that's done quickly and sloppily?

      Linda

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
        One of my pet peeves! But I like your response....I'll be using it
        in the future.
        grace
      • henlaojim
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Wilson" <wilsonc@...>
          wrote:

          > Do you ever get kids who do a slip-sloppy job of a project, fast and
          > lazy, and then when you suggest improvements, say, "But I like it
          this
          > way"?

          Back on the reservation it was one of the two standard responses to
          any critique. The other one was, "Well, it'a always about you!!"

          I finally decided that the best response to "That's how I want it to
          be" is "No it isn't, that's just how it happened to come out."

          I'm not sure where this idea that any student response should be
          praised and accepted came from, but it seems to me to be a sure way to
          raise a batch of self absorbed fools. It makes no sense to me, but
          the, it's always about me, I suppose.
        • lpapanicolaou@pausd.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
            Hate to say it, but it's a twisted response to 'there is no right or wrong in art'
            and the perception that anything is art if the artist says it is.

            Linda

            > > Do you ever get kids who do a slip-sloppy job of a
            > project, fast and
            > > lazy, and then when you suggest improvements, say,
            > "But I like it
            > this
            > > way"?
            > >
            > Back on the reservation it was one of the two
            > standard responses to
            > any critique. The other one was, "Well, it'a always
            > about you!!"
            >
            > I finally decided that the best response to "That's
            > how I want it to
            > be" is "No it isn't, that's just how it happened to
            > come out."
            >
            > I'm not sure where this idea that any student
            > response should be
            > praised and accepted came from, but it seems to me
            > to be a sure way to
            > raise a batch of self absorbed fools. It makes no
            > sense to me, but
            > the, it's always about me, I suppose.

          • katday2001
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
              I teach all grades and my response varies according to their age and
              the amount of time I have. For high schoolers, it helps to have a set
              of grading objectives ready, and I can point out specific things, like
              neat paint lines. The bottom line for them is, "I don't like it that
              way, and I'm going to grade it. You need to spend some more time."
              Sometimes they answer this with "I don't care." and I reply that it's
              obvious. With younger students (whom I don't grade) I try to sit down
              and talk about how this or this shows that they don't care very much
              about this project. Real artists think about what they're doing and
              try their hardest. LIttle kids seem to want to please adults, and
              older kids want to please their peers, and it's important to get kids
              to correct their behavior at a young age. Help them WANT to care now,
              for their own sake. I do everything I can to make my students feel
              like they're "real" aritsts, and a poster of how artists think and
              behave helps.
              I hope this reply helps.
              K. Day
              NEVC, Missouri
              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Wilson" <wilsonc@...> wrote:

              > Do you ever get kids who do a slip-sloppy job of a project, fast and
              > lazy, and then when you suggest improvements, say, "But I like it this
              > way"?
              >
              > So far all I can think of to say is "Do it my way the first time, then
              > you can do it your way the second time." :) good medicine for lazies.
              >
              > Cathy Wilson
              > Price, Utah

            • Marsha Carman
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2006

                I relate it back to other subjects. I always tell the students that if they were in English class and the teacher tells them to write a short story and they write a poem instead it doesn't matter how great the poem is or how much they "like it this way" it will receive no credit until it is done as assigned. I also tell them they are more than welcomed and encouraged to do it "their" way when they get home.

                Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with Live Search!