Re: planning question

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hello,

      I am a part-time 8th grade teacher. I currently teach 3 periods of
      8th grade art. I plan to teach the same lesson to each period,
      however I keep in mind the differences of each class. My 6th hour
      is unusually well-behaved and artistically inclined, so I realize
      that they will be somewhat ahead of the other two classes (and I try
      to challenge them more). On the other hand, my 8th hour is
      unusually talkative and is constantly behind- so I try to take that
      into account when teaching them. I find it not boring at all to
      teach the same lesson 3 times a day, and discover different ways to
      teach it to my last hour of the day. I think that it very much
      helps me, not only for this quarter, but also for the future classes.

      Hope that answers most of your questions!
      jessica in MN

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Ainsley Burdell <ainsley@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear All.
      > I am fascinated to read about the teachers' different schedules on
      this
      > listgroup. As a teacher in a small school with only one class for
      each
      > grade, or year level, I was wondering about the teachers in
      schools with
      > 2 or 3 classes for each grade -
      >
      > * how do you plan for that? Do you teach the same lesson to
      each
      > class and, if so how do you account for the different rates
      of
      > progress of each class - in terms of your planning? Do you
      write a
      > unit with suggested activities that you might not get all
      the way
      > through? Or are you outcomes based in your planning and
      assessment
      > with the pressure of achieving specific outcomes at the end
      of
      > each term?
      > * how does it feel to teach the same lesson 2 or 3 times a
      week? Is
      > it boring and uninspiring - or do you like the way that you
      can
      > refine the lesson and your delivery of it with each
      progressive class?

    • lpapanicolaou@pausd.org
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
        Amazing how different two classes can be, isn't it? I have a very talkative
        section and they're all wonderful kids but it's hard not to keep comparing them
        to the section where everyone comes in prepared to be productive.

        Linda