Re: planning question

  • aj4art
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi Ainsley-
      I plan the same lesson for all of my 6 classes of that grade level. It does not get boring
      teaching and presenting over and over again because each time I present it, I tweak it a
      little according to students needs. Sometimes I realize what I planned isn't quite where I
      want it to be, so I find the classes that have the lesson last, actually produce the better
      pieces. (Although showing the same powerpoint 12 times in a week can be bit much!)Love
      the job, though!

    • Smth06192000@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
        I have 5 sections of every grade level K through 5. I do have 7 sections though of 5th grade and 4th grade.

        The planning is governed by our county and state objectives.

        Planning has flow by skills, concepts. Planning takes time...a lot of time. I get to work early on Monday to prep all materials for each project.

        Organization is so crucial. No details are left out.

        All classes per grade level get the same project--just easier to keep track of what objectives I am covering. By Friday, I have to admit--I am slightly sick of it. But most of the time each class goes about the project and responds to it a little different from another class--so each student/class can be different. Their responses are different.

        I have gifted classes and depending on the project they will do something completely different or we will go about the same project but will create it in a different manner.

        Keeping all the classes starting and finishing at the same time is tricky sometimes. If one class finishes earlier in the class period we will write about the finished work or work on a drawing/design skill.

        I do have a part time teacher who comes in two days of the week--we do not plan together--not that I haven't tried a million times. She does her own thing. :-(

        Hope this helps. Oh we have about 983 elementary students. Next year we are looking at 1050.
        Maria-Virginia
      • Jessica
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
          Hello,

          I am a part-time 8th grade teacher. I currently teach 3 periods of
          8th grade art. I plan to teach the same lesson to each period,
          however I keep in mind the differences of each class. My 6th hour
          is unusually well-behaved and artistically inclined, so I realize
          that they will be somewhat ahead of the other two classes (and I try
          to challenge them more). On the other hand, my 8th hour is
          unusually talkative and is constantly behind- so I try to take that
          into account when teaching them. I find it not boring at all to
          teach the same lesson 3 times a day, and discover different ways to
          teach it to my last hour of the day. I think that it very much
          helps me, not only for this quarter, but also for the future classes.

          Hope that answers most of your questions!
          jessica in MN

        • lpapanicolaou@pausd.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
            Amazing how different two classes can be, isn't it? I have a very talkative
            section and they're all wonderful kids but it's hard not to keep comparing them
            to the section where everyone comes in prepared to be productive.

            Linda