Re: question regarding degree

  • Ken Rohrer
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2006
      If you are applying for jobs out of state, it is
      natural for districts not to take them as seriously.
      The thought is that you may not make the plunge to
      move or travel for the interview. I got a job offer
      once when I traveled out of state to the area and paid
      a personal visit to districts hiring. I simply said,
      "I'm in the area for a week and would like to schedule
      a time to interview." I got several interviews with
      different districts and got an offer with one. It
      probably wouldn't hurt to give a follow-up call to a
      resume and ask to schedule an interview. Then they
      will see that you may be serious enough to make the
      trip for the interview.

      Ken

      ------------------------------
      Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:26 am (PST)
      This may be off topic in a way- but I been applying
      for art teacher
      jobs since graduation in dec 2003. I have YET to get
      work. (not for the
      lack of trying, I have applied for OVER 200 jobs in
      the past yr alone)
      I was "forced" to return to school to avoid repayment
      of loans and am
      currently getting my Master of arts degree in
      HUMANITIES!
      Now my question is, what kind of jobs can I get with
      this degree? I am
      so scared that I will graduate this time and still
      have the same
      problem of not getting work and be very very deep in
      debt.
      Any ideas??
    • henlaojim
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Kren Bennett" <krenbennett@...>
        wrote:

        What is interesting hre is that the advice is to work for little with
        no benefits and hoe that they will be impressed enough to give you a
        full time job with benefits. This may be a reasonble strategy in some
        areas---I remember someone telling me that they had subbed for five
        y7ears in Louisville Ky. before being offered a real posiiton. It
        does not work for a lot of others, people who are paying student
        loans, people with financial responsibilities, peoplewith medical
        problems, and so on. It also doesn't work for people in smaller or
        rural districts.

        It is fair to assume that a school district that wants to exploit you
        for years will continue to do so after offereing you the full time
        status you need.

        As for degrees, I have far too many and learned to hide them.
      • lpapanicolaou@pausd.org
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
          I am fortunate that my district does't mind that I have a doctorate and am
          relatively expensive for my years of service. I did spend four years in my district
          teaching elementary art as an instructional aide and from there managed to land
          in my much-beloved middle school teaching assignment. The instructional aide
          position was of course without benefits. But it isn't the only way to go. Best to
          have other certifications than art and agree to teach a second choice subject in a
          good district while waiting for an art slot to open up.

          Linda

          > What is interesting hre is that the advice is to
          > work for little with
          > no benefits and hoe that they will be impressed
          > enough to give you a
          > full time job with benefits. This may be a reasonble
          > strategy in some
          > areas---I remember someone telling me that they had
          > subbed for five
          > y7ears in Louisville Ky. before being offered a real
          > posiiton. It
          > does not work for a lot of others, people who are
          > paying student
          > loans, people with financial responsibilities,
          > peoplewith medical
          > problems, and so on. It also doesn't work for people
          > in smaller or
          > rural districts.
          >
          > It is fair to assume that a school district that
          > wants to exploit you
          > for years will continue to do so after offereing you
          > the full time
          > status you need.
          >
          > As for degrees, I have far too many and learned to
          > hide them.

        • loveylemmon
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
            Danielle,

            I know where you're coming from, as I never found much senior art to
            teach, myself. What I did eventually find, though, was an alternate
            ed storefront job where I have had some freedom to create creative
            art, photo, and video courses to expand offerings...

            I think your grad degree will really help you as social studies (ex.
            history) can be very overloaded with applicants here in Canada. I
            imagine this is pretty common as as lot of people enjoy the subject.

            By getting a grad degree, you are making yourself WAY more qualified
            than us others, so I think it will really help. It sure would, here.
            Also, large, urban boards do seem to really appreciate high levels
            of education. Although, I have heard before that they may not hire
            you if you have higher education because they have to pay you
            more... So, play it by ear, and look into this before you apply. You
            may have to let some boards know after, while others will seek your
            education levels.

            Best of luck! Hopefully you'll get a bit of art in your
            English/Social assignment.

            Abby

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "danielle" <dmoskowitz@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm not sure where you are located, but I am in NJ and have found
            it
            > difficult, although I have found jobs. I would suggest applying to
            > charter, private, and urban schools because they usually always
            need
            > people.
            >

            > > This may be off topic in a way- but I been applying for art
            teacher
            > > jobs since graduation in dec 2003. I have YET to get work. (not
            for the
            > > lack of trying, I have applied for OVER 200 jobs in the past yr
            alone)
            > > I was "forced" to return to school to avoid repayment of loans
            and am
            > > currently getting my Master of arts degree in HUMANITIES!
            > > Now my question is, what kind of jobs can I get with this
            degree? I am
            > > so scared that I will graduate this time and still have the same
            > > problem of not getting work and be very very deep in debt.
            > > Any ideas??
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kristi Gilleland
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
              Jeanette - Just to hold you over or give you another idea - I know most of the homeschoolers around this area are looking for art instruction.  It is an area that a lot of homeschool moms feel really inadequate with and so they look to pay for classes - individual classes and sessions.
              There is probably a good bit of money to be made for someone that wants to tap into this market.
              Some folks want private, in home tutoring.  Others want classes so the kids can socialize as well.  In those instances, it is often possible to offer your services to the larger craft stores with education rooms, or colleges that have continuing education departments.
              I've partnered with a local college here for a few classes.  It has been quite lucrative for both of us.  I've done some in-home tutoring and it was great - I even had a former student purchase some of my instructional time as a gift for christmas to a friend.
              It isn't a full time job, but it can pay well and someone creative in marketing themself could probably do fine with it.

              -Kristi

            • Eileen Ciavarella
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1, 2006
                I agree with networking. I substituted and volunteered in the district that
                I have my job in now. Get to know everyone in the school from janitors to
                secretaries to principles to parents.

                Eileen

                >From: "CATHERINE FREDERICKSON" <dfrederickson992@...>
                >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [art_education] question regarding degree
                >Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:29:14 +0000
                >
                >I have moved a LOT and discovered that volunteering, substituting and
                >networking are the ways to get "in". Schools want to know something about
                >you so any community connections or 'informational' interviews you can
                >connect to are reallly helpful. I don't see a payback on more degrees,
                >experience is worth much more. Good luck!
                >Cathy
                >

                > >From: "danielle" <dmoskowitz@...>
                > >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: Re: [art_education] question regarding degree
                > >Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:51:31 -0500 (EST)
                > >
                > >I'm not sure where you are located, but I am in NJ and have found it
                > >difficult, although I have found jobs. I would suggest applying to
                > >charter, private, and urban schools because they usually always need
                > >people.
                > >

                > > > This may be off topic in a way- but I been applying for art teacher
                > > > jobs since graduation in dec 2003. I have YET to get work. (not for
                >the
                > > > lack of trying, I have applied for OVER 200 jobs in the past yr alone)
                > > > I was "forced" to return to school to avoid repayment of loans and am
                > > > currently getting my Master of arts degree in HUMANITIES!
                > > > Now my question is, what kind of jobs can I get with this degree? I am
                > > > so scared that I will graduate this time and still have the same
                > > > problem of not getting work and be very very deep in debt.
                > > > Any ideas??
                > > >

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > > >

                > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Sarah Coullard
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
                  When I was in high school, there was a girl in my class that was homeschooled for everything except art.  Apparently, the school (it was a public school) let her take art there, even though she wasn't enrolled in anything else.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
                    I've rarely seen any job openings for an Art Teacher in my state, Hawaii, especially in the Public School sector.  In the Private School sector, an art teaching job will pop up once in a great while but these are located in small private schools where the position is part time and the pay is very low.  What I've found in my experience, and also the way I got my job, is that if you really want to "teach" then you've got to get your foot in the door.  If you are certified to teach, then apply for any teaching job just to get your foot in the door.  If you're not certified to teach, then apply to small private schools where having a teaching certificate isn't always required, most private school require just a Bachelors Degree.  Once you get your foot through the door volunteer your artistic skills for school projects or events.  Keep up a good relationship with Administration and if, and when, the current art teacher leaves you will be in place to apply for her/his position.  If you just sit back and apply for only art teaching positions you won't get anywhere, unless of course you are really lucky.  Art teaching positions are far and few but most of all they are highly prized.  When my son graduated from the school that I teach at, there were quite a few teachers who approached me to ask if I was coming back the following year.  They had all assumed that without a child at the school I was going to leave like that last art teacher... but they were sadly mistaken.  When I jokingly told the Principal that I felt like a piece of carcass waiting to be eaten by vultures she laughed and said that she too had been approached by my fellow teachers and outside teachers asking if my position was open.  She told me the art position is the one position that she gets the most requests for by new applicants.  So, you see if you really want an art position you really need to get your foot in the door, prove yourself, get the classroom experience and play the waiting game.  Don't get discouraged remember there are other ways of teaching art to students while being a normal homeroom teacher instead of having the art teacher title.  My school has several lower grade teachers who add art to their class day and do great things.  Never limit yourself as to what you can teach or use your art in.  Hope this helps.

                    Oh, on the question of a MA in Humanities... what can you do with that... anything, everything, whatever you want.  Remember art is all about the possibilities and there are so many possibilities for you if you just let step outside of the box.

                    Good luck,
                    cat in honolulu

                  • smjahnle@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
                      Hi guys -
                      I've followed this interesting thread and had to put my two cents in also!  I teach Art to K through 8 in a private, parochial school in suburban Philadelphia.  I have a BFA in studio art and art history from 1980, worked in our art museum for 10 years until I "retired" to raise my children, and returned to graduate studies in education, receiving my elementary teaching certificate in 2002.

                      I took a 7th grade position at the school, then was able to switch to Art after only one year when the Art teacher left to be home with her newborn.  I consider myself lucky to have this position, despite a huge number of students (three sections each of grades k thru 8), because of its good health plan, large new classroom with a sink and supply budget!

                      I live in an area rich with colleges with terrific education programs - undergraduate and graduate - and there is much competition for teaching positions.  I keep an eye on and apply to the occasional public school art opening, and even had a few great interviews, but have always lost the position to applicants who had more years of teaching experience.  I sometimes wonder if I should have taken the art ed track, become certified to teach art way back as an undergrad, and how different life would have been with the bigger salary and benefits that would have produced!  But then I keep making and exhibiting my own art, and take courses with painters that I admire, try hard to transfer my love of art to my students, and realize that I am (mostly) satisfied with my situation!

                      Thanks for listening -   SandyJ