Fair Use Network - new Copyright site

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      Dear Art Educators,

      This relatively new Fair Use site (from June 06) was listed in Dr.
      Craig Roland's Art Junction blog. http://www.artjunction.org/blog/

      The Fair Use Network:
      http://fairusenetwork.org/index.php

      " The Fair Use Network provides information to activists, artists,
      scholars, and anyone else who has questions about "IP" (intellectual
      property) law. Our basic purpose is to support fair use and other free
      expression safeguards within the law, because free expression is
      essential to creativity, culture, and a healthy democracy."

      "The Fair Use Network is part of the Free Expression Policy Project
      (FEPP), a program of the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of
      Law."

      (Copied from the site)

      Note this case....

      "The Second Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed that artist Jeff Koons'
      incorporation of a photograph into a collage painting was fair use."

      Check back on this site for more details. Artists who "appropriate"
      photographs now have a case to site in their favor.

      I am not sure what this case was about.... But here is one I found:
      http://newsgrist.typepad.com/underbelly/2006/01/koons_wins_land.html
      http://www.cll.com/articles/article.cfm?articleid=239

      The courts ruled against Koons when he made a sculpture derived from a
      photograph of puppies.

      Incredible Art Resources