planning question

  • Ainsley Burdell
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
      Dear All.
      I am fascinated to read about the teachers' different schedules on this
      listgroup. As a teacher in a small school with only one class for each
      grade, or year level, I was wondering about the teachers in schools with
      2 or 3 classes for each grade -

      * how do you plan for that? Do you teach the same lesson to each
      class and, if so how do you account for the different rates of
      progress of each class - in terms of your planning? Do you write a
      unit with suggested activities that you might not get all the way
      through? Or are you outcomes based in your planning and assessment
      with the pressure of achieving specific outcomes at the end of
      each term?
      * how does it feel to teach the same lesson 2 or 3 times a week? Is
      it boring and uninspiring - or do you like the way that you can
      refine the lesson and your delivery of it with each progressive class?

      just wondering,
      Ainsley BUrdell
      Queensland, Australia
    • ginamarie yacovelli
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
        Ainsley,

        I usually plan the same thing for each grade level in which I have two
        of. Sometimes I pick a doozie plan and I mark in my book to never do
        it again for my sake and the kids sake but usually what I find is that
        one half of the grade is usually more creative. Like 3rd grade did
        dioramas and the one 3rd grade were cutting trap holes in their floors
        in case an animal came in they could easily "hunt it" the other half of
        3rd grade wanted to put disco balls. I sometimes wonder if it is has
        to do with their core teacher and how they teach if that is what is
        rubbed off on them even in our subjects.

        Another example is I had to do saint sashes with 5-8 grade and I bought
        foam sticky letters for the felt and by the end of the 1st 5th Grade I
        found myself needing more of the letters S, T, and A. Well 5th grade
        was making the letters out of other letters like 2 u's for an s and a v
        and an i for an A. When it came time for 8th grade they just sat there
        and did nothing because they didn't have their letter so I said you
        know be creative for instance in 5th grade....I guess they needed a
        push they were able to make an s from 2 j's. Whatever works. Just
        wish me luck I have 6th and 7th on Friday. I will let you know how
        that goes.

        Hope this helps,
        Gina

      • lpapanicolaou@pausd.org
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2006
          It's not the same lesson because no two classes of children are the same. Each group of students brings something different to class. Sometimes things work spectacularly well, sometimes not, but the product of an assignment is always a chemistry between students and teachers. Slight changes in the way you present a lesson may have radically different results.

          The problems with multiple sections are that 1)you learn from the first section in which you present a lesson, hit stride presenting a lesson the second time you do it, and by section three, you forget that you may not have told them something important.

          Linda

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
            Hi Ainsley-
            I plan the same lesson for all of my 6 classes of that grade level. It does not get boring
            teaching and presenting over and over again because each time I present it, I tweak it a
            little according to students needs. Sometimes I realize what I planned isn't quite where I
            want it to be, so I find the classes that have the lesson last, actually produce the better
            pieces. (Although showing the same powerpoint 12 times in a week can be bit much!)Love
            the job, though!

          • Smth06192000@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
              I have 5 sections of every grade level K through 5. I do have 7 sections though of 5th grade and 4th grade.

              The planning is governed by our county and state objectives.

              Planning has flow by skills, concepts. Planning takes time...a lot of time. I get to work early on Monday to prep all materials for each project.

              Organization is so crucial. No details are left out.

              All classes per grade level get the same project--just easier to keep track of what objectives I am covering. By Friday, I have to admit--I am slightly sick of it. But most of the time each class goes about the project and responds to it a little different from another class--so each student/class can be different. Their responses are different.

              I have gifted classes and depending on the project they will do something completely different or we will go about the same project but will create it in a different manner.

              Keeping all the classes starting and finishing at the same time is tricky sometimes. If one class finishes earlier in the class period we will write about the finished work or work on a drawing/design skill.

              I do have a part time teacher who comes in two days of the week--we do not plan together--not that I haven't tried a million times. She does her own thing. :-(

              Hope this helps. Oh we have about 983 elementary students. Next year we are looking at 1050.
              Maria-Virginia
            • Jessica
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
                Hello,

                I am a part-time 8th grade teacher. I currently teach 3 periods of
                8th grade art. I plan to teach the same lesson to each period,
                however I keep in mind the differences of each class. My 6th hour
                is unusually well-behaved and artistically inclined, so I realize
                that they will be somewhat ahead of the other two classes (and I try
                to challenge them more). On the other hand, my 8th hour is
                unusually talkative and is constantly behind- so I try to take that
                into account when teaching them. I find it not boring at all to
                teach the same lesson 3 times a day, and discover different ways to
                teach it to my last hour of the day. I think that it very much
                helps me, not only for this quarter, but also for the future classes.

                Hope that answers most of your questions!
                jessica in MN

              • lpapanicolaou@pausd.org
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Amazing how different two classes can be, isn't it? I have a very talkative
                  section and they're all wonderful kids but it's hard not to keep comparing them
                  to the section where everyone comes in prepared to be productive.

                  Linda