Re: [art_education] What is your schedule like for Art class?

  • ginamarie yacovelli
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
      Donna, The theatre department is awesome over the university...I took a
      playwrights class with Toby Zinman I am sure your daughter knows her.
      I always enjoy their mini shows on Broad Street (literally on the
      street). Thanks for helping me I will post my results and my research
      paper on here so everyone can see.

      Take care,
      Gina
      On Oct 29, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Lenny Sanz wrote:

      Hi Gina! My daughter is a junior at UArts! (theatre)

      My middle school teaches grades 6-8.

      This year I have the 6th graders for ten weeks, every other day,
      8th grade has no art. The 7 th grade comes for the whole year, every
      other day. This is my fourth year in this school, and every year the
      configuration
      is different. I also teach an arts & crafts class with mixed grades.
      (new)

      I'm pretty happy with this schedule, but i miss the 8th graders, who
      now
      all have music and/or technology for a year.

      The 6th graders are sad that art is ending. They will now go to other
      specials.

      We are considered "encore" classes.

      I was in the elementary school for 4 years and taught grades 3-5,
      all classes once a week. Then the district abolished art at this level.
      (2 art teacher jobs were excessed). I still have a job because of
      retirements.

      Good luck with your project!

      Donna in NY

      On Thursday, October 26, 2006, at 09:26 AM, ginamarie yacovelli wrote:

      > Hello everyone this is gina from NJ.
      > As I might of stated in previous posts that I teaching here in Nj and
      > am in the MAT program at UARTS in Philly. I need your help because I
      > am conducting a survey for my research class that I would like to
      > hopefully pitch to my principal if the results should work in my
      favor.
      > I will not use anyone's name in this survey for privacy reasons but
      > if
      > you can just state where you are from.
      >

      > What grades does your school teach?
      >
      > I would like to know your Art schedule, do you teach everyday for one
      > marking period and than get a new batch of kids or do each grade have
      > Art one day a week for the year?
      >
      > Are you happy with your current schedule? If not, then what would
      > make it better? If yes then why?
      >

      > If you do teach art everyday and have taught art only once a week for
      > each grade, which do you prefer? Why?
      >

      > What are the kids reactions if any about art whether it is one day a
      > week or art everyday (do they wish they had it more when it is only
      one
      > day a week and vice versa?
      >
      > Finally what are you considered in your school, for example I am
      > considered a "special".
      >

      > Thank you so much for helping me out.
      > Again, No names will be mentioned just states for mapping purposes.
      >
      > Take care,
      > Gina
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Hillmer, Jan
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006

        Hi everyone,

        It’s interesting to see how various schools handle their schedules.  A question I have is this – what happens to your art classes when there’s a play or special choral concert which requires large groups of kids?

        Jan

      • Ann Carolan
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006

          > They just miss those classes. If it's a half day, we shorten all the
          classes.
          ac

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > It's interesting to see how various schools handle their schedules. A
          > question I have is this - what happens to your art classes when there's
          > a play or special choral concert which requires large groups of kids?
          >
          > Jan
          >

          > ---
          > This message checked for SPAM and Viruses by MailFoundry.
          > If this is SPAM, please forward it to spam@...
        • sandyjahnle
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > It's interesting to see how various schools handle their schedules. A
            > question I have is this - what happens to your art classes when
            there's
            > a play or special choral concert which requires large groups of kids?
            >
            > Jan

            Hi Jan: Tomorrow is the fall fundraiser at my parochial elementary
            (Grades PreK to 8) and the "specials" were cancelled, but this morning
            as I arrived at school the principal asked me to be the sub in 3rd
            grade classroom! I had planned to hang art, clean my classroom and get
            things ready, but that's out the window now! There are frequent
            interruptions in all the grades for monthly Mass, assemblies, etc.
            Sometimes it isn't easy to get everybody caught up! SandyJ
          • ginamarie yacovelli
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
              Jan,
              I love that you are adding to my questioning. My classes get cut in
              fact because I teach at a catholic school when ever we have our monthly
              masses I know I will miss at least 3 classes because of it.

              Gina

              On Oct 30, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Hillmer, Jan wrote:

              Hi everyone,

              It’s interesting to see how various schools handle their schedules.  A
              question I have is this – what happens to your art classes when there’s
              a play or special choral concert which requires large groups of kids?

              Jan

            • Mikel Lee
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                All of our classes meet to do rehearsal and we do not
                have "normal" class. Ususally for 5 days which is a
                complete rotation for us. - Mikel

                > question I have is this - what happens to your art
                > classes when there's
                > a play or special choral concert which requires
                > large groups of kids?
                >
                > Jan

              • pent19
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                  we have shortened periods when we have 1/2 days, hour delays (SNOW),
                  or an assembly of sorts. Students do not miss classes because of these
                  things. For example, we had a group doing a performance in our theater
                  on monday, because our theater only holds 1/2 our students at a time,
                  4th period was 2 hours long, other classes were about 30 minutes.
                  Students spent the first hour of 4th period in the assembly or class,
                  then the second hour was vice versa. (first floor students go to the
                  assembly for first hour, second floor students go for the second)I am
                  forunate enough to have planning period 4th so I stayed in my room and
                  got a ton of work done!! This works well because when something is
                  going on students will still have all there classes, no playing catch
                  up. I use these short periods to review and give demos because there
                  isn't enough time to get and clean up materials
                  Michele NY