Jewelry I ....HELP!

  • Stephanie Walkley
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 27, 2006
      Hi all,

      I am new to teaching high school with 12 years at the elementary level. I
      am in one of the fastest growing systems in Arizona and need some help. We
      are planning to add Jewelry I to our class selections for next year and I
      need to know books, materials, lessons, budget, equipment & anything else
      that we might need. Any help would be great. The goal is to hire another
      teacher and hopefully one with that experience (Painting and Ceramics are my
      strengths!). Thanks in advance.

      Stephanie
    • linda
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 28, 2006
        Stephanie,
        I have a lesson plan for etching in the Incredible Art Department's
        lesson plan area for HS/MS.
        http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Linda-jewelry.htm
        Hope this helps. Right now I have my new sixth graders designing
        illustrations for quotes or poems about nature that they will etch
        onto 6 inch copper squares. I'll post some new images for this lesson
        when they are finished.
        Linda

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Walkley"
        <swalkley@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am new to teaching high school with 12 years at the elementary
        level. I
        > am in one of the fastest growing systems in Arizona and need some
        help. We
        > are planning to add Jewelry I to our class selections for next year
        and I
        > need to know books, materials, lessons, budget, equipment & anything
        else
        > that we might need. Any help would be great. The goal is to hire
        another
        > teacher and hopefully one with that experience (Painting and
        Ceramics are my
        > strengths!). Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Stephanie

      • Patti White
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 28, 2006

          Stephanie,
          If you can't find any resources for information, go to Hobby Lobby or your nearest craft store and take all the free information which should be located next to the bead display. I went this week and got a bundle of things.
          Pat White
          Harrisburg, AR
          I am new to teaching high school with 12 years at the elementary level. I
          am in one of the fastest growing systems in Arizona and need some help. We
          are planning to add Jewelry I to our class selections for next year and I
          need to know books, materials, lessons, budget, equipment & anything else
          that we might need. Any help would be great. The goal is to hire another
          teacher and hopefully one with that experience (Painting and Ceramics are my
          strengths!). Thanks in advance.

          Stephanie

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Stephanie Walkley
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 28, 2006
            Is this just for beading and wire jewelry? I need information on
            metalsmithing too. We don't have a Hobby Lobby in AZ. They are opening one
            an hour away in November.

            Thanks for the info.

            Stephanie

            I am new to teaching high school with 12 years at the elementary level. I
            am in one of the fastest growing systems in Arizona and need some help. We
            are planning to add Jewelry I to our class selections for next year and I
            need to know books, materials, lessons, budget, equipment & anything else
            that we might need. Any help would be great. The goal is to hire another
            teacher and hopefully one with that experience (Painting and Ceramics are
            my
            strengths!). Thanks in advance.

            Stephanie

            10/26/2006

          • jdecker4art
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 28, 2006
              Hi Stephanie,

              Look up Tim McCreight. I don't know if his book the Complete
              Metalsmith is still in print. He has other books out, too.
              http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Metalsmith-An-Illustrated-
              Handbook/dp/0871922401

              Also see if you can get a copy of the video, The Complete
              Metalsmith. It is a complete curriculum for Jewelry I.
              http://www.brynmorgen.com/video.html
              I have seen this video - it is very good.

              Tim was introduced to Jewelry making in high school. He was a couple
              years older than me. We actually started jewelry making in junior
              high. The high school still offers jewelry making.

              You might also look up Davis Publications. All books I have ordered
              from Davis have been excellent.

              http://www.davis-art.com/portal/commerce/CommerceDefault.aspx?
              curPage=ProductsList&ReSearch=TopicID-38&navTitle=Topic:%20Jewelry

              I wouldn't spend the whole budget now. The teacher that is hired
              will have some of his/her own ideas. Save some $$ back.

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Walkley" wrote:

              > Is this just for beading and wire jewelry? I need information on
              > metalsmithing too. We don't have a Hobby Lobby in AZ. They are
              opening one
              > an hour away in November.
              >
              > Thanks for the info.
              >
              > Stephanie
            • thepsychoartist
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2006
                I am a senior art education major. The text books that we are using
                in my metalsmithing class right now are The Complete Metalsmith and
                The Complete Metalsmith, Illustrated Handbook by Tim McCreight.
                Hope this helps!

                <swalkley@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I am new to teaching high school with 12 years at the elementary
                level. I
                > am in one of the fastest growing systems in Arizona and need some
                help. We
                > are planning to add Jewelry I to our class selections for next year
                and I
                > need to know books, materials, lessons, budget, equipment & anything
                else
                > that we might need. Any help would be great. The goal is to hire
                another
                > teacher and hopefully one with that experience (Painting and
                Ceramics are my
                > strengths!). Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Stephanie

              • Stephanie Walkley
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 28, 2006
                  Thanks. I was looking at those two books in the Davis catelog. I am not
                  spending money at the moment as we are waiting for the bond measure to be
                  voted on first. We doubled our school population in 1 year. I have to
                  propose what is need for the school board to approve it. I will check those
                  books out on Amazon...I love buying the used ones!

                  Thanks for your help.

                  Stephanie

                  Look up Tim McCreight. I don't know if his book the Complete
                  Metalsmith is still in print. He has other books out, too.
                  http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Metalsmith-An-Illustrated-
                  Handbook/dp/0871922401

                  Also see if you can get a copy of the video, The Complete
                  Metalsmith. It is a complete curriculum for Jewelry I.
                  http://www.brynmorgen.com/video.html
                  I have seen this video - it is very good.

                  Tim was introduced to Jewelry making in high school. He was a couple
                  years older than me. We actually started jewelry making in junior
                  high. The high school still offers jewelry making.

                  You might also look up Davis Publications. All books I have ordered
                  from Davis have been excellent.

                  http://www.davis-art.com/portal/commerce/CommerceDefault.aspx?
                  curPage=ProductsList&ReSearch=TopicID-38&navTitle=Topic:%20Jewelry

                  I wouldn't spend the whole budget now. The teacher that is hired
                  will have some of his/her own ideas. Save some $$ back.

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Walkley" wrote:

                  > Is this just for beading and wire jewelry? I need information on
                  > metalsmithing too. We don't have a Hobby Lobby in AZ. They are
                  opening one
                  > an hour away in November.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the info.
                  >
                  > Stephanie

                • Stephanie Walkley
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 28, 2006
                    Great thank you so much! I am planning on taking Jewelry I this Spring or
                    Summer just in case they do not find someone qualified.

                    Stephanie

                    <swalkley@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I am new to teaching high school with 12 years at the elementary
                    level. I
                    > am in one of the fastest growing systems in Arizona and need some
                    help. We
                    > are planning to add Jewelry I to our class selections for next year
                    and I
                    > need to know books, materials, lessons, budget, equipment & anything
                    else
                    > that we might need. Any help would be great. The goal is to hire
                    another
                    > teacher and hopefully one with that experience (Painting and
                    Ceramics are my
                    > strengths!). Thanks in advance.
                    >
                    > Stephanie

                  • Jessica
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 28, 2006
                      Tim McCreight has several fabulous books on metalsmithing, great
                      pictures, easy to understand and lots of ideas.

                      Rio Grande (http://www.riogrande.com/) is based in New Mexico, and (in
                      my opinion) has just about everything you could ever want. What
                      direction are you going with the jewelry class? Beading, metal
                      smithing, etc. If you are planning on doing beading, you will need
                      lots of small storage for beads (like a tackle box, or go with the
                      beading toolboxes).

                      I went to school in New Mexico (Albuquerque), and took the "small
                      scale metals" class a.k.a. jewelry class. We had to buy a kit that Rio
                      Grande put together for the school that included 3 small pliers, a big
                      metal file, a set of small metal files, hand saw, flux, etc.
                      Basically everything you need to get started. I would recommend
                      emailing one of the sculpture professors
                      (http://www.unm.edu/~artdept2/sculpture/index.html) to see if they'd
                      be willing to pass on what they included in the kit.

                      Jessica, mn

                      <swalkley@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > I am new to teaching high school with 12 years at the elementary
                      level. I
                      > am in one of the fastest growing systems in Arizona and need some
                      help. We
                      > are planning to add Jewelry I to our class selections for next year
                      and I
                      > need to know books, materials, lessons, budget, equipment & anything
                      else
                      > that we might need. Any help would be great. The goal is to hire
                      another
                      > teacher and hopefully one with that experience (Painting and
                      Ceramics are my
                      > strengths!). Thanks in advance.
                      >
                      > Stephanie

                    • Kristi Gilleland
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2006
                        My son has been wanting to learn to make jewelry - so I was very appreciative of the jewelry 101 thread.  He's been making me brooches with the soldering gun and some pin backs.

                        I've bookmarked the book, workbook and video on metalsmithing.

                        My question is - I homeschool, and do you guys with experience with these materials think they are feasible for homeschooling?  By that, they don't require super huge or expensive setups do they?  Space is getting to be the biggest issue here.

                        Also, about what grade levels are they geared for?

                        My son is 10 but he's advanced - really he is just really lopsided to be honest.  He's really advanced in art & science though.  He is capable of doing instructional books geared towards adults & has done several technical ones, but he doesn't always enjoy the dryness and that slows him down.

                        -Kristi

                      • littleredhenschool
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2006
                          My ds12 enjoys working with metal, too. (another homeschool mom
                          here ;-) We have found classes at nearby art museums in both silver-
                          clay and fused glass that my ds has enjoyed for the past 3 years.

                          He really liked working with the silver-clay medium that has
                          recently become popular with jewelry-makers. It is a clay-like
                          material containing silver dust -- you shape it like clay (into
                          medallions, rings, slides, whatever) then it is fired in a kiln.
                          The "clay" burns off and the silver is left...
                          makes very nice high-quality jewelry (depending on the initial
                          design, of course ;-) and I have seen a lot of it for sale in
                          department stores and TJ Maxx. Here the classes run about $75
                          dollars and you get a small chunk of the clay to work with (enough
                          for a small medallion and matching earrings or just a single ring).

                          The fused glass was another fun, colorful option -- two different
                          teachers have let him into the classes, even though they were listed
                          as adult classes. Not metal, I know, but very substantial results.

                          What my ds12 really wants to do is smith a sword... try finding
                          resources for THAT project ;-)))

                          -julie
                          HomeschoolDiner.com
                          Another option

                          I missed the metal smithing links -- could you please send me them
                          offline? TIA :-)

                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Kristi Gilleland" <ebay@...>
                          wrote:

                          > My son has been wanting to learn to make jewelry - so I was very
                          > appreciative of the jewelry 101 thread. He's been making me
                          brooches with
                          > the soldering gun and some pin backs.
                          >
                          > I've bookmarked the book, workbook and video on metalsmithing.
                          >
                          > My question is - I homeschool, and do you guys with experience
                          with these
                          > materials think they are feasible for homeschooling? By that,
                          they don't
                          > require super huge or expensive setups do they? Space is getting
                          to be the
                          > biggest issue here.
                          >
                          > Also, about what grade levels are they geared for?
                          >
                          > My son is 10 but he's advanced - really he is just really lopsided
                          to be
                          > honest. He's really advanced in art & science though. He is
                          capable of
                          > doing instructional books geared towards adults & has done several
                          technical
                          > ones, but he doesn't always enjoy the dryness and that slows him
                          down.

                          > -Kristi
                          > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
                          s=97359714/grpId=3520770/grpspId=1705019151/msgId
                          > =11421/stime=1162055619/nc1=3848640/nc2=4025321/nc3=3848533>

                        • Richard Lee
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
                            coming out of lurkdom here. i homeschool my 14yoson and he too loves metal. we have not tried any jewelry-making, but believe it or not we did find a knifesmith! so he is making a knifeblade, which isn't quite a sword, which is what he really would love to do, but its close. if you live near a city, you might be able to find a smithing organization that could point you toward a teacher. try typing in "blacksmith organization" or "bladesmithing organizations" and you just might be able to come up with something. we live near houston and i was amazed that there is a fairly large and active group in the area.
                            its worth a try anyway..
                            good luck!
                            paula