ceramic windchimes

  • Barb Bussell
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2002
      At one time last year I was in desperate need of some ceramics projects for highschool kids.  Someone in this group wrote me back with a tried and true way that they taught a lesson on windchimes.  I know I could wing this since windchimes are not difficult to figure out.  But this member had a specific way that she planned the canopy that the chimes were attached to and then attached them in a certain way.  It would be helpful to have a thought-out set of directions for my students.  If this was you, could you send me information again?   And if it wasn't you, I could use some successful ideas for clay projects and clay sculpture projects.  (We just finished a unit on Louise Nevelson with a project inspired by her, and then a unit on found-object sculpture based on many artists).  Thanks alot, and any info on clay organization and cleanup monitors, etc. would be really appreciated.
      Sincerely
      Barb
    • Kelli Denne
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2002

         Barb,

        I had my high school students do a ceramic teapot project which turned out to be a lot of fun.  A spout and a handle were required, but the shape and designs were up to the students.  The only problem I ran into was the similarities of some teapots and some types of drug paraphanalia.  That caused some problems.  Another project might be ceramic birdhouses, cartoon sculpture from clay, or assign a part of a 5 course meal to each student and make a entire dinner out of clay, complete with salad, breads, meats, even something to drink (I haven't done this one yet).  I hope this helps.

        Kelli

        Do You Yahoo!?
        Yahoo! Sports - Sign up for Fantasy Baseball

      • Judi Vokes
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2002
          I have a friend who did the dinner thing but they had to do it in the style of an artist.  Meryl had some pretty cool stuff..Van Gogh,
          Salvador Dali....imagine!!!!

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2002
            Barb,
            My students are currently finishing a lesson on Pop
            Art. I chose shoes as the subject matter for the
            production part of this lesson. The majority of the
            students are using slab construction. I asked that
            they make the shoes as realistic as possible (form,
            textures, shapes, etc.). I suggested they choose a
            style of shoe to match their peronalities. It is the
            first time I've taught this lesson, and it has been
            very successful. The students production is the best I
            have seen all year! The other art teacher in our
            department had the students create items of food like
            Oldenberg. They will be having a "food party" at the
            end of the unit. The art production in these classes
            is also amazing!

            Hope this helps, DeAnn

            http://mail.yahoo.com/