Re: [art_education] Day of the Dead ideas

  • cara bertman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hi Michelle,
      I am a high school art teacher and I have made calacas with my students in the past.  Calacas- skeletons, are symbolic skeletons of a loved one past or an icon (if the kids don't have a family or friend to think of, one student made John Lennon).  You can use coat hangers for an armiture and build up the bones with paper mache.  I use old med bottle caps for hat tops trimmed with oak tag for brims.  Heads are built up with masking tape and newspaper.  This is an intriguing lesson for adolescents because they are fascinated with death and Dia de Los Muertos is a celebration of the afterlife, a less macabe concept than we are used to.  It was very successful and some students found a way to create unique memoirs for a loved one or icon.  I can send you pics if you want.  Have fun!  You can also make tissue paper flowers and paper cut outs to connect interdisciplinary vocab words in spanish... talk to your spanish teacher at the school, we always work together.

      Best,
      Cara
      CHS ART

      ashersmama5 <michelle@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone,
      I am somewhat new to the group and have really been enjoying the
      posts. It is so wonderful to hear what everybody's doing all around
      the country. My name is Michelle and I am a second year middle school
      art teacher in Northern California. I have been creating a Day of the
      Dead unit, and I'm looking for easy, two to three day projects. Last
      year I did paper mache skulls with my eighth graders, but they took
      forever and turned into paper mache santas and snowmen. I'm not
      doing that this year! With the seventh graders I did repouse masks
      that were very successful. I'm going to do those again with the
      seventh graders, but need something for the eighth graders. If you
      have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
      Thanks!
      Michelle