Day of the Dead ideas

  • ashersmama5
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
      Hi everyone,
      I am somewhat new to the group and have really been enjoying the
      posts. It is so wonderful to hear what everybody's doing all around
      the country. My name is Michelle and I am a second year middle school
      art teacher in Northern California. I have been creating a Day of the
      Dead unit, and I'm looking for easy, two to three day projects. Last
      year I did paper mache skulls with my eighth graders, but they took
      forever and turned into paper mache santas and snowmen. I'm not
      doing that this year! With the seventh graders I did repouse masks
      that were very successful. I'm going to do those again with the
      seventh graders, but need something for the eighth graders. If you
      have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
      Thanks!
      Michelle
    • MaryAnn Faubion Kohl

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
          My daughter lived in Switzerland for many years and we visited her annually.
          It gave us the opportunity to visit wonderful and interesting museums that
          were quite different from American ones. That's when I was first introduced
          to the idea of Day of the Dead celebration. I particularly remember
          painting with many figures in lines and rows doing a "danse macabre". It
          could be a wonderful opportunity to have the students draw action figures
          that are not comic book characters. These looked like devils and fiends with
          bodies in many grotesque postures. Fascinating.
          Have fun.
          Renah Bell
          renah@...

          > I am somewhat new to the group and have really been enjoying the
          > posts. It is so wonderful to hear what everybody's doing all around
          > the country. My name is Michelle and I am a second year middle school
          > art teacher in Northern California. I have been creating a Day of the
          > Dead unit, and I'm looking for easy, two to three day projects. Last
          > year I did paper mache skulls with my eighth graders, but they took
          > forever and turned into paper mache santas and snowmen. I'm not
          > doing that this year! With the seventh graders I did repouse masks
          > that were very successful. I'm going to do those again with the
          > seventh graders, but need something for the eighth graders. If you
          > have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
          > Thanks!
          > Michelle
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links