Re: [art_education] Re: Kinko's acting like copyright agents, too?

  • MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
      Re: [art_education] Re: Kinko's acting like copyright agents, too? As a publisher and author, I appreciate Kinko’s stand on copyright infringement.
      To alleviate trouble for people trying to make one copy, I print a permission in the front of my books that says something like --
      “ok photocopying ten or less pages for single person use or classroom use for teachers”
      Some of my older editions don’t say this, but any newer books do.
      It’s simply to keep some control over the rampant multiple copying of entire books that is happening.

      Can you believe the following?
      I have been part of email sharing groups (not this one), where people scan
      an entire book and share those jpgs with thousands of other people? The way
      it benefits is that if each member in the group scans one entire book and
      shares it, then everyone gets 1000 entire books for free. Yes, lots of paper
      involved if they print them out. But not everyone prints out books. They
      keep them on their computers for access. They share these books through AIM
      and ICQ and iCHAT, where anyone on their member list or buddy list has
      instant access to all their shared files. Kind of like the Napster music thing. But
      entire BOOKS? Very disheartening for those little single person publishers
      like myself trying to do good things for kids and parents and teachers and
      still make a living.

         MaryAnn F. Kohl

      On  10/3/06 8:14 AM,  Stephen Torode  storode@...  wrote:

      I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Kinkos. I thought I
      would weigh in with my thoughts on the matter.
      As both an Art teacher and professional photographer, I provide a
      service to clients that I hope will return income for myself and my
      family. One of the ways I do that is by charging for my
      professionally finished prints.
      I had printed some proofs for one of my clients to look at for the
      purpose of printing enlargements. Since I had my studio information
      printed on the back of the prints along with the statement that the
      prints are copywritten, I received a phone call from a manager at
      Kinkos informing me that someone was making enlargements and copies
      of my work.
      I appreciated Kinkos efforts to thwart copywrite infringement for the
      sake of my family's well being.
      I can understand, however, that this power can be abused and I hope
      that Kinkos will find a better, more efficient way of handling this
      issue in the future.
      Thanks for allowing me to comment.
      Stephen Torode
      Valley Christian High School
      San Jose, Ca.

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
      <maryann@...> wrote:
      > Make a friend with someone who has a copier in their home or office.
      > Also, you can download images from the internet and cut those in
      > make color prints instead of using Kinko’s.
      > Once I asked them to copy some things from a book I had written and
      > published, and even I had troulbe getting them to help me. And I
      was the
      > publisher!!  It was kind of funny, in a way.
      > MaryAnn
      >     MaryAnn F. Kohl
      >     educator/consultant/author
      >     maryann@...
      >     www.brightring.com
      > On  10/1/06 11:39 AM,  kathieblanche  kathieblanche@...  wrote:
      > >

      > >    I've been wondering about Kinko's lately too.
      > >
      > > I want to bring in several art posters and have them copied.
      I'de like to cut
      > > the
      > > copies apart into even sized rectangles and have each student
      recreate the
      > > image that
      > > is on their rectangle onto a larger piece of paper using a
      variety of
      > > different materials.
      > > The pieces will all be fitted together into one large image when
      all are done
      > > and hung
      > > on a wall.  I am not ready to do this lesson yet, so I haven't
      brought them in
      > > to be
      > > copied, but I'm not sure that they'll even do it...
      > >
      > > I went to Kinko's in May to copy some scrapbook pages I'd made
      and the Kinko's
      > > guy said I could copy all but the one that was a big collage with
      part of a
      > > map pasted
      > > in the corner.  He said copying the map was not allowed.  I
      wanted to say,
      > > "But it's
      > > ART!!"  -but then I realized that that left open the
      rebuttal, "No it's not!"
      > > And as I
      > > looked down at my photo collage of the Cabazon, CA dinasaurs
      attacking myself
      > > and
      > > my neices I thought, "Nope.  Don't want to open that door..."
      > >
      > > So what's the best way to handle the Kinko workers?  Kathie,
      safely back in
      > > WI.
      > >
      > > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com>  <mailto:art_education%

      > >> (needed
      > > something special done to it so could not do it myself on the
      > > copier,etc....)  but
      > > they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school
      I teach for.

      > >> librarians
      > > afraid of that too?  Should they be??

    • Anne Rose-Phillips
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
        Regarding Kinko's (I used to work there years ago beofre they went
        corporate & at that time they had recently survived losing a big
        lawsuit from textbook companies, so that sent them down a very strict
        copyright path...) but it sounds extreme now.

        My best suggestion is to use the do-it-yourself (self-serve) machines
        & then the employees don't have to pay attention to what you are
        doing. Don't know if that would still work, but it's probably worth a
        try if there aren't other printing alternatives.

        Anne in Oregon