Re: [art_education] Re: Kinko's acting like copyright agents, too?

  • MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
      Re: [art_education] Re: Kinko's acting like copyright agents, too? Make a friend with someone who has a copier in their home or office.

      Also, you can download images from the internet and cut those in half...and make color prints instead of using Kinko’s.

      Once I asked them to copy some things from a book I had written and published, and even I had troulbe getting them to help me. And I was the publisher!!  It was kind of funny, in a way.

      MaryAnn

         MaryAnn F. Kohl
         educator/consultant/author

      maryann@...
          www.brightring.com

      On  10/1/06 11:39 AM,  kathieblanche  kathieblanche@...  wrote:

         I've been wondering about Kinko's lately too.

      I want to bring in several art posters and have them copied.  I'de like to cut the
      copies apart into even sized rectangles and have each student recreate the image that
      is on their rectangle onto a larger piece of paper using a variety of different materials.
      The pieces will all be fitted together into one large image when all are done and hung
      on a wall.  I am not ready to do this lesson yet, so I haven't brought them in to be
      copied, but I'm not sure that they'll even do it...

      I went to Kinko's in May to copy some scrapbook pages I'd made and the Kinko's
      guy said I could copy all but the one that was a big collage with part of a map pasted
      in the corner.  He said copying the map was not allowed.  I wanted to say, "But it's
      ART!!"  -but then I realized that that left open the rebuttal, "No it's not!"  And as I
      looked down at my photo collage of the Cabazon, CA dinasaurs attacking myself and
      my neices I thought, "Nope.  Don't want to open that door..."

      So what's the best way to handle the Kinko workers?  Kathie, safely back in WI.

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , Rivka Kehaty <rivkakehaty@...> wrote:

      > the rights to individual images. Never---and I mean NEVER ask a
      > librarian if it is OK to copy something. They often feel obliged to
      > act as the agents of the copyright holders, which they are not. All
      > you want to do is use the images to teach kids so don't fret about
      > it. <<<
      >
      >   I have gone into Kinko's (FedEx/Kinko's) and needed a color copy made (needed
      something special done to it so could not do it myself on the color copier,etc....)  but
      they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school I teach for.

      >   Haven't Kinko's in the past been sued for copyright violations?  Are the librarians
      afraid of that too?  Should they be??

      >   Rivka
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com.  Check it out.

    • Act Silly 4 Art
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
        I've also noticed that Kinko's has beefed up security on copying anything that "they" feel is infringes on copyright violation law.  I drew a sketch for a mural we are about to do at school and asked if they could blow it up for me.  The girl took the sketch to the back then came back with the manager who informed me that they could reproduce copyright material.  I told her that I had drawn the sketch, which was as plain as day, but she insisted that it was a reproduction.  I asked her to prove it.  She said she didn't have to because it was their right to refuse to copy anything that "she" deemed suspicious.  Frustrated, I said a few choice words and left with my sketchbook.  Then I went home called 1.800.254.6567 and filed a complaint with Kinko/Fed Ex on the Mananger and Store.  I got a nice little letter apologizing for the misunderstanding and stupid coupon good for a Free Color Copy.  I refuse to go to Kinko to copy anything.

        Cat in Honolulu

        Rivka Kehaty <rivkakehaty@...> wrote:
        >>>. Students have a right to learn things so I don't worry much about
        the rights to individual images. Never---and I mean NEVER ask a
        librarian if it is OK to copy something. They often feel obliged to
        act as the agents of the copyright holders, which they are not. All
        you want to do is use the images to teach kids so don't fret about
        it. <<<

        I have gone into Kinko's (FedEx/Kinko' s) and needed a color copy made (needed something special done to it so could not do it myself on the color copier,etc.. ..)  but they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school I teach for.

        Haven't Kinko's in the past been sued for copyright violations?  Are the librarians afraid of that too?  Should they be??

        Rivka

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Susan Michael
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
          We has some questions from Walmart about some family pictures that my husband took. The attendant thought it was from a studio and if they had not already been paid for would not have let us have them. =/ Susan
        • Stephen Torode
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
            I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Kinkos. I thought I
            would weigh in with my thoughts on the matter.
            As both an Art teacher and professional photographer, I provide a
            service to clients that I hope will return income for myself and my
            family. One of the ways I do that is by charging for my
            professionally finished prints.
            I had printed some proofs for one of my clients to look at for the
            purpose of printing enlargements. Since I had my studio information
            printed on the back of the prints along with the statement that the
            prints are copywritten, I received a phone call from a manager at
            Kinkos informing me that someone was making enlargements and copies
            of my work.
            I appreciated Kinkos efforts to thwart copywrite infringement for the
            sake of my family's well being.
            I can understand, however, that this power can be abused and I hope
            that Kinkos will find a better, more efficient way of handling this
            issue in the future.
            Thanks for allowing me to comment.
            Stephen Torode
            Valley Christian High School
            San Jose, Ca.
            www.torodephotography.com

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, MaryAnn Faubion Kohl

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
              Re: [art_education] Re: Kinko's acting like copyright agents, too? As a publisher and author, I appreciate Kinko’s stand on copyright infringement.
              To alleviate trouble for people trying to make one copy, I print a permission in the front of my books that says something like --
              “ok photocopying ten or less pages for single person use or classroom use for teachers”
              Some of my older editions don’t say this, but any newer books do.
              It’s simply to keep some control over the rampant multiple copying of entire books that is happening.

              Can you believe the following?
              I have been part of email sharing groups (not this one), where people scan
              an entire book and share those jpgs with thousands of other people? The way
              it benefits is that if each member in the group scans one entire book and
              shares it, then everyone gets 1000 entire books for free. Yes, lots of paper
              involved if they print them out. But not everyone prints out books. They
              keep them on their computers for access. They share these books through AIM
              and ICQ and iCHAT, where anyone on their member list or buddy list has
              instant access to all their shared files. Kind of like the Napster music thing. But
              entire BOOKS? Very disheartening for those little single person publishers
              like myself trying to do good things for kids and parents and teachers and
              still make a living.

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
              <maryann@...> wrote:

              > Make a friend with someone who has a copier in their home or office.
              >
              > Also, you can download images from the internet and cut those in
              half...and
              > make color prints instead of using Kinko’s.
              >
              > Once I asked them to copy some things from a book I had written and
              > published, and even I had troulbe getting them to help me. And I
              was the
              > publisher!!  It was kind of funny, in a way.
              >
              > MaryAnn

              >     MaryAnn F. Kohl
              >     educator/consultant/author
              >     maryann@...
              >     www.brightring.com
              >

              > On  10/1/06 11:39 AM,  kathieblanche  kathieblanche@...  wrote:
              >

              > >    I've been wondering about Kinko's lately too.
              > >
              > > I want to bring in several art posters and have them copied.
              I'de like to cut
              > > the
              > > copies apart into even sized rectangles and have each student
              recreate the
              > > image that
              > > is on their rectangle onto a larger piece of paper using a
              variety of
              > > different materials.
              > > The pieces will all be fitted together into one large image when
              all are done
              > > and hung
              > > on a wall.  I am not ready to do this lesson yet, so I haven't
              brought them in
              > > to be
              > > copied, but I'm not sure that they'll even do it...
              > >
              > > I went to Kinko's in May to copy some scrapbook pages I'd made
              and the Kinko's
              > > guy said I could copy all but the one that was a big collage with
              part of a
              > > map pasted
              > > in the corner.  He said copying the map was not allowed.  I
              wanted to say,
              > > "But it's
              > > ART!!"  -but then I realized that that left open the
              rebuttal, "No it's not!"
              > > And as I
              > > looked down at my photo collage of the Cabazon, CA dinasaurs
              attacking myself
              > > and
              > > my neices I thought, "Nope.  Don't want to open that door..."
              > >
              > > So what's the best way to handle the Kinko workers?  Kathie,
              safely back in
              > > WI.
              > >
              > > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com>  <mailto:art_education%
              40yahoogroups.com>

              > >> (needed
              > > something special done to it so could not do it myself on the
              color
              > > copier,etc....)  but
              > > they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school
              I teach for.

              > >> librarians
              > > afraid of that too?  Should they be??

            • Anne Rose-Phillips
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                Regarding Kinko's (I used to work there years ago beofre they went
                corporate & at that time they had recently survived losing a big
                lawsuit from textbook companies, so that sent them down a very strict
                copyright path...) but it sounds extreme now.

                My best suggestion is to use the do-it-yourself (self-serve) machines
                & then the employees don't have to pay attention to what you are
                doing. Don't know if that would still work, but it's probably worth a
                try if there aren't other printing alternatives.

                Anne in Oregon