Listening to our Ancestors - North West Coast Exhibit

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2006
      Dear Art Educators,

      This is a new to me online exhibit.
      Listening to Our Ancestors: The Art of Native Life Along the North Pacific Coast
      http://www.nmai.si.edu/listening/

      "Listening to Our Ancestors explores how Native people along the coast
      of Washington State, British Columbia, and Alaska continue
      time-honored practices in an ever-changing modern world. The
      exhibition features more than 400 ceremonial and everyday objects, as
      well as commentary from representatives of eleven contemporary North
      Pacific Coast Native nations.

      "The exhibition includes a wide variety of pieces, from intricately
      woven and ornamented dance blankets to halibut fishing hooks, finely
      carved and painted masks of supernatural creatures to spoons carved
      from the horns of mountain goats. Each object reflects the creativity
      of people whose art has been collected by museums worldwide for more
      than a century."

      copied from:
      http://www.nmai.si.edu/subpage.cfm?subpage=exhibitions&second=dc

      A selection from the exhibit may be found online. View the Communities
      and Galleries.

      More online exhibitions:
      http://www.nmai.si.edu/subpage.cfm?subpage=exhibitions&second=online

      Incredible Art Resources