Re: What do mean I won't get an "A"

  • pent19
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
      I teach intro Studio in Art class and sometimes will get the seniors
      who have put off taking this class until the last minute (Art is
      required to graduate in NY). They often believe it is an easy course
      as well, and are disappointed when the get a grade much lower than
      what they had expected. To resolve this, every project I grade has a
      rubric/checklist. Students use this rubric as a checklist, then turn
      the project and the rubric into me. I have strict deadlines for
      projects, it is turned in on the day it is due or it gets a zero.
      Students gain responsibloty by having to collect and turn work into me
      by a certain date, rolling deadlines seem to lose the effect of
      responsibility. My rubrics include handling materials properly.
      presentation (wrinkled and smudge papers), concepts learned, effort
      and elements being covered. They are a bit detailed, which take a
      minute or two to grade, but since they were given the checklist/rubric
      they should have taken the time to correct/fix what needed to worked
      on. When returned, students can see exactly where they lost points,
      instead of asking me. Since I teach 4 classes of Studio in Art and 1
      foundations in Media arts, its a record of how i graded and keeps my
      grading system fair, no favoritism. I also offer the students a
      chance to rework and fix where they lost points. They can submit the
      project for regrading up to one week before my grades are due.Students
      can earn back effort points or proper material usage points, but can
      earn back others. Students who truly care and want a better grade will
      rework their projects, those who don't want to put the extra work in
      won't. Since I have a strict deadline, students projects that may have
      been incomplete are still graded (they often get lost or not turned
      for rolling deadlines) and they can choose to come in extra and
      complete it. I have just started using this system and i didn't get
      attacked with questions and concerns once the projects were turned
      back to the students. Maybe you could try this for a quarter and see
      how it works.
      Michele NY
    • Jessica
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        I teach 8th grade art, and it is a required quarter-long class. I
        told my kids at the beginning of the school year that yes, it is easy
        to get an "a" in my class- all you have to do is meet the requirements
        and do the work! I let them know I don't assign homework often, so
        it's very easy to do the work.

        I also have the students fill out a self-assesment, and warned them at
        the beginning of the year that what they give themselves isn't what I
        may give them- also there is an area for effort (did they work the
        whole time in class, did they challenge themselves), and surprisingly
        the students do know when they haven't been working hard and mark
        themselves down for it. I haven't taught enough to know if that makes
        their behavior change, but it is nice to know that these students are
        conscious of their behavior.

        Jessica in MN

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Act Silly 4 Art
        <actsilly4art@...> wrote:

        > Okay, I have to vent because every year I get one or two students
        who have chosen to take Art as an elective because they thought that
        it was an easy A. Arrghhh, it just gets me so mad when students come
        up to me and ask why I didn't give them an A. My reply is always the
        same, I don't give you any grade... you earn it. If you get an A in
        my class then you earned that A, if you get a C or lower in my class
        then you earned that grade. I don't randomly give out grades based on
        whether or not I like you. Grades are determined by the grading scale
        that I set and that you have seen so if you want to know why you
        earned that grade then you need to go back and look at the grades you
        earned for the quarter. The student will honestly stand there and
        look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language or tell me that
        they've never see my grading scale (which is posted on EdLine for them
        and their parents to access). It truly frustrates me. Sometimes, I
        out right ask them... why
        > are you taking art? And the answer is always the same, I thought
        it would be easy. What made you think art was easy, is what I ask
        next. I don't know, it just looks so easy and fun. Art is Fun, yes,
        but it is work also and many of my new art students have gotten a rude
        awakening this week when they saw their report card. I know next
        quarter they will work harder but it is that first quarter when new
        art students just can't fathom why they didn't get that easy A, that
        throws me in a hissy fit.

        > cat in honolulu

        Small Business.