Re: [art_education] What do mean I won't get an "A"

  • Anna K. Ball
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
      I teach in middle school and this is most of the students first exposure to art class.  It makes me happy when they say,"Ms. Ball this is hard."  Not because I want them to have a hard time of course, but because they realize that art is hard work.  I also tell them it is easy to get an A in my class.  Follow the requirements and work hard.

      --anna in SD

      .

    • pent19
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
        I teach intro Studio in Art class and sometimes will get the seniors
        who have put off taking this class until the last minute (Art is
        required to graduate in NY). They often believe it is an easy course
        as well, and are disappointed when the get a grade much lower than
        what they had expected. To resolve this, every project I grade has a
        rubric/checklist. Students use this rubric as a checklist, then turn
        the project and the rubric into me. I have strict deadlines for
        projects, it is turned in on the day it is due or it gets a zero.
        Students gain responsibloty by having to collect and turn work into me
        by a certain date, rolling deadlines seem to lose the effect of
        responsibility. My rubrics include handling materials properly.
        presentation (wrinkled and smudge papers), concepts learned, effort
        and elements being covered. They are a bit detailed, which take a
        minute or two to grade, but since they were given the checklist/rubric
        they should have taken the time to correct/fix what needed to worked
        on. When returned, students can see exactly where they lost points,
        instead of asking me. Since I teach 4 classes of Studio in Art and 1
        foundations in Media arts, its a record of how i graded and keeps my
        grading system fair, no favoritism. I also offer the students a
        chance to rework and fix where they lost points. They can submit the
        project for regrading up to one week before my grades are due.Students
        can earn back effort points or proper material usage points, but can
        earn back others. Students who truly care and want a better grade will
        rework their projects, those who don't want to put the extra work in
        won't. Since I have a strict deadline, students projects that may have
        been incomplete are still graded (they often get lost or not turned
        for rolling deadlines) and they can choose to come in extra and
        complete it. I have just started using this system and i didn't get
        attacked with questions and concerns once the projects were turned
        back to the students. Maybe you could try this for a quarter and see
        how it works.
        Michele NY
      • Jessica
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
          I teach 8th grade art, and it is a required quarter-long class. I
          told my kids at the beginning of the school year that yes, it is easy
          to get an "a" in my class- all you have to do is meet the requirements
          and do the work! I let them know I don't assign homework often, so
          it's very easy to do the work.

          I also have the students fill out a self-assesment, and warned them at
          the beginning of the year that what they give themselves isn't what I
          may give them- also there is an area for effort (did they work the
          whole time in class, did they challenge themselves), and surprisingly
          the students do know when they haven't been working hard and mark
          themselves down for it. I haven't taught enough to know if that makes
          their behavior change, but it is nice to know that these students are
          conscious of their behavior.

          Jessica in MN

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Act Silly 4 Art
          <actsilly4art@...> wrote:

          > Okay, I have to vent because every year I get one or two students
          who have chosen to take Art as an elective because they thought that
          it was an easy A. Arrghhh, it just gets me so mad when students come
          up to me and ask why I didn't give them an A. My reply is always the
          same, I don't give you any grade... you earn it. If you get an A in
          my class then you earned that A, if you get a C or lower in my class
          then you earned that grade. I don't randomly give out grades based on
          whether or not I like you. Grades are determined by the grading scale
          that I set and that you have seen so if you want to know why you
          earned that grade then you need to go back and look at the grades you
          earned for the quarter. The student will honestly stand there and
          look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language or tell me that
          they've never see my grading scale (which is posted on EdLine for them
          and their parents to access). It truly frustrates me. Sometimes, I
          out right ask them... why
          > are you taking art? And the answer is always the same, I thought
          it would be easy. What made you think art was easy, is what I ask
          next. I don't know, it just looks so easy and fun. Art is Fun, yes,
          but it is work also and many of my new art students have gotten a rude
          awakening this week when they saw their report card. I know next
          quarter they will work harder but it is that first quarter when new
          art students just can't fathom why they didn't get that easy A, that
          throws me in a hissy fit.

          > cat in honolulu

          Small Business.