Kinko's acting like copyright agents, too?

  • Rivka Kehaty
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2006
      >>>. Students have a right to learn things so I don't worry much about
      the rights to individual images. Never---and I mean NEVER ask a
      librarian if it is OK to copy something. They often feel obliged to
      act as the agents of the copyright holders, which they are not. All
      you want to do is use the images to teach kids so don't fret about
      it. <<<

      I have gone into Kinko's (FedEx/Kinko's) and needed a color copy made (needed something special done to it so could not do it myself on the color copier,etc....)  but they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school I teach for.

      Haven't Kinko's in the past been sued for copyright violations?  Are the librarians afraid of that too?  Should they be??

      Rivka

    • Kristi Gilleland
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30, 2006
        I know a certain company that used to have Kinko's copy 100+ books at a time so they wouldn't have to buy extra copies, lol, but ....my friend did a patel drawing and brought it into a Kinko's and they told her she COULD NOT copy it due to copyright violations.  She kept saying BUT I'M THE ARTIST!  I OWN THE COPYRIGHT!

        But they wouldn't let her copy her own drawing!

        -Kristi

        >>>. Students have a right to learn things so I don't worry much
        about
        the rights to individual images. Never---and I mean NEVER ask a
        librarian if it is OK to copy something. They often feel obliged to
        act as the agents of the copyright holders, which they are not. All
        you want to do is use the images to teach kids so don't fret about
        it. <<<

        I have gone into Kinko's (FedEx/Kinko' s) and needed a color copy made (needed something special done to it so could not do it myself on the color copier,etc.. ..)  but they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school I teach for.

        Haven't Kinko's in the past been sued for copyright violations?  Are the librarians afraid of that too?  Should they be??

        Rivka

      • kathieblanche
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
          I've been wondering about Kinko's lately too.

          I want to bring in several art posters and have them copied. I'de like to cut the
          copies apart into even sized rectangles and have each student recreate the image that
          is on their rectangle onto a larger piece of paper using a variety of different materials.
          The pieces will all be fitted together into one large image when all are done and hung
          on a wall. I am not ready to do this lesson yet, so I haven't brought them in to be
          copied, but I'm not sure that they'll even do it...

          I went to Kinko's in May to copy some scrapbook pages I'd made and the Kinko's
          guy said I could copy all but the one that was a big collage with part of a map pasted
          in the corner. He said copying the map was not allowed. I wanted to say, "But it's
          ART!!" -but then I realized that that left open the rebuttal, "No it's not!" And as I
          looked down at my photo collage of the Cabazon, CA dinasaurs attacking myself and
          my neices I thought, "Nope. Don't want to open that door..."

          So what's the best way to handle the Kinko workers? Kathie, safely back in WI.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Rivka Kehaty <rivkakehaty@...> wrote:

          > the rights to individual images. Never---and I mean NEVER ask a
          > librarian if it is OK to copy something. They often feel obliged to
          > act as the agents of the copyright holders, which they are not. All
          > you want to do is use the images to teach kids so don't fret about
          > it. <<<
          >
          > I have gone into Kinko's (FedEx/Kinko's) and needed a color copy made (needed
          something special done to it so could not do it myself on the color copier,etc....) but
          they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school I teach for.

          > Haven't Kinko's in the past been sued for copyright violations? Are the librarians
          afraid of that too? Should they be??

          > Rivka
          >

          > ---------------------------------

        • henlaojim
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
            wrote:

            > the rights to individual images. Never---and I mean NEVER ask a
            > librarian if it is OK to copy something. They often feel obliged to
            > act as the agents of the copyright holders, which they are not. All
            > you want to do is use the images to teach kids so don't fret about
            > it. <<<
            >
            > I have gone into Kinko's (FedEx/Kinko's) and needed a color copy
            made (needed something special done to it so could not do it myself
            on the color copier,etc....) but they have refused me in the past or
            wanted a note for the school I teach for.

            Well, Kinko'w and other copy shops are in an awkward position
            becayuse they are vulnerable as large corporatins to suits from
            multimedia conglomerates and have, thus, become very cautious about
            copyright. I once had a Kinko's copy shop in Louisville Kentucky, on
            Bardstown Road, refuse to make posters for a missing child because
            the picture on them seemed to be a school portrait for which, they
            said, I had no rights. I reciprocted by making a great scene crying
            and yelling and pounding on the counter until they copied them just
            to get rid of me. I do not recommend that strategy in your case.

            A good color printer is useful.

            Incidentally, I related that story to the company that had taken the
            pictures and they sent me within days one hudred full color 8X10
            photos free of charge and a note giving me permission to copy them
            along with an apology for the incident, with which, of course, they
            had nothing to do.
          • MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
              Re: [art_education] Re: Kinko's acting like copyright agents, too? Make a friend with someone who has a copier in their home or office.

              Also, you can download images from the internet and cut those in half...and make color prints instead of using Kinko’s.

              Once I asked them to copy some things from a book I had written and published, and even I had troulbe getting them to help me. And I was the publisher!!  It was kind of funny, in a way.

              MaryAnn

                 MaryAnn F. Kohl
                 educator/consultant/author

              maryann@...
                  www.brightring.com

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , Rivka Kehaty <rivkakehaty@...> wrote:

              > the rights to individual images. Never---and I mean NEVER ask a
              > librarian if it is OK to copy something. They often feel obliged to
              > act as the agents of the copyright holders, which they are not. All
              > you want to do is use the images to teach kids so don't fret about
              > it. <<<
              >
              >   I have gone into Kinko's (FedEx/Kinko's) and needed a color copy made (needed
              something special done to it so could not do it myself on the color copier,etc....)  but
              they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school I teach for.

              >   Haven't Kinko's in the past been sued for copyright violations?  Are the librarians
              afraid of that too?  Should they be??

              >   Rivka
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com.  Check it out.

            • Act Silly 4 Art
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                I've also noticed that Kinko's has beefed up security on copying anything that "they" feel is infringes on copyright violation law.  I drew a sketch for a mural we are about to do at school and asked if they could blow it up for me.  The girl took the sketch to the back then came back with the manager who informed me that they could reproduce copyright material.  I told her that I had drawn the sketch, which was as plain as day, but she insisted that it was a reproduction.  I asked her to prove it.  She said she didn't have to because it was their right to refuse to copy anything that "she" deemed suspicious.  Frustrated, I said a few choice words and left with my sketchbook.  Then I went home called 1.800.254.6567 and filed a complaint with Kinko/Fed Ex on the Mananger and Store.  I got a nice little letter apologizing for the misunderstanding and stupid coupon good for a Free Color Copy.  I refuse to go to Kinko to copy anything.

                Cat in Honolulu

                Rivka Kehaty <rivkakehaty@...> wrote:
                >>>. Students have a right to learn things so I don't worry much about
                the rights to individual images. Never---and I mean NEVER ask a
                librarian if it is OK to copy something. They often feel obliged to
                act as the agents of the copyright holders, which they are not. All
                you want to do is use the images to teach kids so don't fret about
                it. <<<

                I have gone into Kinko's (FedEx/Kinko' s) and needed a color copy made (needed something special done to it so could not do it myself on the color copier,etc.. ..)  but they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school I teach for.

                Haven't Kinko's in the past been sued for copyright violations?  Are the librarians afraid of that too?  Should they be??

                Rivka

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Susan Michael
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                  We has some questions from Walmart about some family pictures that my husband took. The attendant thought it was from a studio and if they had not already been paid for would not have let us have them. =/ Susan
                • Stephen Torode
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                    I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Kinkos. I thought I
                    would weigh in with my thoughts on the matter.
                    As both an Art teacher and professional photographer, I provide a
                    service to clients that I hope will return income for myself and my
                    family. One of the ways I do that is by charging for my
                    professionally finished prints.
                    I had printed some proofs for one of my clients to look at for the
                    purpose of printing enlargements. Since I had my studio information
                    printed on the back of the prints along with the statement that the
                    prints are copywritten, I received a phone call from a manager at
                    Kinkos informing me that someone was making enlargements and copies
                    of my work.
                    I appreciated Kinkos efforts to thwart copywrite infringement for the
                    sake of my family's well being.
                    I can understand, however, that this power can be abused and I hope
                    that Kinkos will find a better, more efficient way of handling this
                    issue in the future.
                    Thanks for allowing me to comment.
                    Stephen Torode
                    Valley Christian High School
                    San Jose, Ca.
                    www.torodephotography.com

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, MaryAnn Faubion Kohl

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Re: [art_education] Re: Kinko's acting like copyright agents, too? As a publisher and author, I appreciate Kinko’s stand on copyright infringement.
                      To alleviate trouble for people trying to make one copy, I print a permission in the front of my books that says something like --
                      “ok photocopying ten or less pages for single person use or classroom use for teachers”
                      Some of my older editions don’t say this, but any newer books do.
                      It’s simply to keep some control over the rampant multiple copying of entire books that is happening.

                      Can you believe the following?
                      I have been part of email sharing groups (not this one), where people scan
                      an entire book and share those jpgs with thousands of other people? The way
                      it benefits is that if each member in the group scans one entire book and
                      shares it, then everyone gets 1000 entire books for free. Yes, lots of paper
                      involved if they print them out. But not everyone prints out books. They
                      keep them on their computers for access. They share these books through AIM
                      and ICQ and iCHAT, where anyone on their member list or buddy list has
                      instant access to all their shared files. Kind of like the Napster music thing. But
                      entire BOOKS? Very disheartening for those little single person publishers
                      like myself trying to do good things for kids and parents and teachers and
                      still make a living.

                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
                      <maryann@...> wrote:

                      > Make a friend with someone who has a copier in their home or office.
                      >
                      > Also, you can download images from the internet and cut those in
                      half...and
                      > make color prints instead of using Kinko’s.
                      >
                      > Once I asked them to copy some things from a book I had written and
                      > published, and even I had troulbe getting them to help me. And I
                      was the
                      > publisher!!  It was kind of funny, in a way.
                      >
                      > MaryAnn

                      >     MaryAnn F. Kohl
                      >     educator/consultant/author
                      >     maryann@...
                      >     www.brightring.com
                      >

                      > On  10/1/06 11:39 AM,  kathieblanche  kathieblanche@...  wrote:
                      >

                      > >    I've been wondering about Kinko's lately too.
                      > >
                      > > I want to bring in several art posters and have them copied.
                      I'de like to cut
                      > > the
                      > > copies apart into even sized rectangles and have each student
                      recreate the
                      > > image that
                      > > is on their rectangle onto a larger piece of paper using a
                      variety of
                      > > different materials.
                      > > The pieces will all be fitted together into one large image when
                      all are done
                      > > and hung
                      > > on a wall.  I am not ready to do this lesson yet, so I haven't
                      brought them in
                      > > to be
                      > > copied, but I'm not sure that they'll even do it...
                      > >
                      > > I went to Kinko's in May to copy some scrapbook pages I'd made
                      and the Kinko's
                      > > guy said I could copy all but the one that was a big collage with
                      part of a
                      > > map pasted
                      > > in the corner.  He said copying the map was not allowed.  I
                      wanted to say,
                      > > "But it's
                      > > ART!!"  -but then I realized that that left open the
                      rebuttal, "No it's not!"
                      > > And as I
                      > > looked down at my photo collage of the Cabazon, CA dinasaurs
                      attacking myself
                      > > and
                      > > my neices I thought, "Nope.  Don't want to open that door..."
                      > >
                      > > So what's the best way to handle the Kinko workers?  Kathie,
                      safely back in
                      > > WI.
                      > >
                      > > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com>  <mailto:art_education%
                      40yahoogroups.com>

                      > >> (needed
                      > > something special done to it so could not do it myself on the
                      color
                      > > copier,etc....)  but
                      > > they have refused me in the past or wanted a note for the school
                      I teach for.

                      > >> librarians
                      > > afraid of that too?  Should they be??

                    • Anne Rose-Phillips
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Regarding Kinko's (I used to work there years ago beofre they went
                        corporate & at that time they had recently survived losing a big
                        lawsuit from textbook companies, so that sent them down a very strict
                        copyright path...) but it sounds extreme now.

                        My best suggestion is to use the do-it-yourself (self-serve) machines
                        & then the employees don't have to pay attention to what you are
                        doing. Don't know if that would still work, but it's probably worth a
                        try if there aren't other printing alternatives.

                        Anne in Oregon