Early Childhood Art Education Book

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2006
      Dear Art Educators,

      Folks frequently come to the list asking for advice for pre-K/early childhood.

      Jenna - a student in Kathy Douglas' Art Education class at Stonehill
      College - posted this to TAB list.

      "Art and Creative Development for Young Children," by Robert Schirrmacher.

      This book is a great combination of early childhood and art
      education. It incorporates early child development with the basic
      principles of art through themes surrounding sensory stimulation,
      creativity, and self discovery. It is very readable, practical and
      provides an opportunity for educators to learn through each of the
      chapter summaries, objectives, and review questions. It also
      provides a long list of curricular activities that link the premises
      of each chapter. For example, in the sensory stimulation chapter,
      they're activities that go directly with the traditional five senses
      and Montessori's five senses that are easy to carry out within one's
      own classroom.
      The beginning of the book opens up with the child
      development aspect. The author discusses what early childhood art
      should be, and then later discusses how art fosters child
      development, by giving a general overview of it. The book then
      addresses elements in art, the adult role in children's art and how
      the adult plans, implements, and evaluates the curriculum. It then
      discusses how to respond to children's art, and provides strategies
      to enhance children's artistic development. Next, the last few
      chapters share the components and design of art centers, and a
      variety of two and three dimensional activities. To close the book,
      the appendixes include endless resources, recipes, books, artistic
      junk creations, and styles to link art and the early childhood
      curriculum together.
      I feel that all early childhood educators could benefit from
      this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it because it linked together both
      of my majors: early childhood education and psychology. I like how
      the book not only was knowledgeable, but it also gave ideas to
      implement what was read within one's own classroom. This book will
      definitely have a permanent spot on my teaching shelf!
      ~ Jenna

      Hope some of you find this book useful.