Life Sized Sacophagus

  • Anna.Ball@k12.sd.us
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2006
      Hi--

      Has anyone ever made a life-sized sarcophagus out of paper-mache' ? If so, have you any tips? This is for middle school. Thank you,

      --anna in SD
    • FredSand@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2006
        HI,
        I made like size Mummies with my 6 th graders.
        I used chicken wire as an armature and a stryofom mask for the facial armature.
        Then we paper mached the whole thing, I had the kids work in teams each time they came to art, one group worked on the Mummy one week while the other kids were working on another Egyptian assignment & so on. It took a while but the kids loved it & came in to work on it during their lunchtimes. It looked great when it was finished...I would have kept it for years but the custodian tossed it out over the summer!! MAybe it gave him the creeps!!
        Sandy
        From: <Anna.Ball@...>
        > Hi--
        >
        > Has anyone ever made a life-sized sarcophagus out of paper-mache' ? If so, have
        > you any tips? This is for middle school. Thank you,
        >
        > --anna in SD
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Anna K. Ball
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2006
          Thanks for responding.  I have a couple more questions.  Did you make it so that it could open?  If so, how did you do that?

          thanks, anna in SD

          From: <Anna.Ball@k12. sd.us>

        • FredSand@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
            Anna, No I didn't make it open. But you could, by having the top side of the chicken wire open up like the lid of a box. It could all be in one piece & just open at the ends which would be on one side. Does that make sense ?? Or you could make the top & bottom in 2 parts so that the lid would lift off?
            Another art teacher, made small Mummy cases, by using the boxes that Liquitex paint tubes come in. The top lifts off & inside the kids had created tiny little mummies from clay. The top of the box was decorated as a sarcophagus. They were great. She had put out an all call to all the HS art teachers asking them to save the Liquitex boxes for her.
            Sandy

            From: "Anna K. Ball" <picapica@...>