Mona Lisa - Science Integration - New York Times article

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27 6:29 AM
      Dear Art Educators,

      Here is your chance to integrate a bit of science with your
      "Mona"/Leonardo units.

      New Look at 'Mona Lisa' Yields Some New Secrets
      By IAN AUSTEN
      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/27/arts/design/27mona.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin
      http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html
      The first major scientific analysis of the "Mona Lisa" in 50 years has
      uncovered some unexpected secrets, including signs that Leonardo da
      Vinci changed his mind about his composition, French and Canadian
      researchers said Tuesday.

      Online subscription to New York Times is free. There are some good
      articles for current events in the arts.

    • FredSand@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 28 4:09 PM
        Dear Gina,
        I had the kids & staff take their pinwheels home the afternoon of the 21st. My Principal wanted to keep them in the Children's Gardens around the school, but I had promised the kids that they could take them & "plant" them at home that day. We were due for rain anyway! I took lots of photos which I have on display for the kids & parents to view during Open house next week.
        Sandy in Mich.
        From: ginamarie yacovelli <ginayac@...>
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > This is for those of you that participated in the Pinwheels for Peace
        > Project...How long do you keep them on display?
        >
        > Gina in NJ
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ginamarie yacovelli
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 28 4:48 PM
          Sandy,
          I hear you about the rain, I didn't even think about it, I was just so
          excited to see them in the garden that I left them out there but the
          rain did something pretty magical to them, it blended all of their
          colors together and it looks rather nice but now I can't figure out
          whose pinwheel is whose among 375 kids so...I figured I would say in
          keeping with the peace them we are going to give out the pinwheels
          randomly so that way we all share each others peace. This should work
          because we are in a catholic school and they know all about the
          importance of giving peace.

          Thanks for replying,
          Gina

          From: ginamarie yacovelli <ginayac@...>
          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > This is for those of you that participated in the Pinwheels for Peace
          > Project...How long do you keep them on display?
          >
          > Gina in NJ
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ginayac
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3 5:23 AM
            Hi Everyone,

            I hope you all are off to a great start for the school year!

            I am curious to see how you all go about making Pinwheels for Peace.
            Last year I used heavy paper and a thumb tack in a piece of dowel.
            Needless to say we used markers to decorate them and they didn't spin
            and when it rained it took all the peace away but I had a somewhat
            convincing story to explain where the peace went.

            I know the website suggests using pencils to stick in the ground but I
            do not feel comfortable asking for 375 pencils just to stick in the
            ground. I would also like to make them different heights as well. Or
            I was thinking maybe making a big board and having them spin on that.

            Any suggestions would be great. Because last year it took my husband
            and I forever to attach all of the tacks and cut all of the dowels.

            Also, let me know what kind of paper you use.

            Take care,
            Gina
            in NJ

            ps anyone going to the AENJ in October?
          • Amy Broady
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3 5:42 AM
              Gina, I Xerox my own template (a little bigger than the one offered
              on the website) onto cardstock so our pinwheels are a bit sturdier.
              We design them with crayons, colored pencils, and Sharpies so that
              they will not run.

              I cannot imagine using thumbtacks or pushpins--when I tried that with
              just one pinwheel, my own sample, last year, my 8-year-old daughter
              was carryingit around, and the tack fell out. She knelt down to look
              for it, and found it immediately--in her knee, where she had knelt
              right onto it! It was jammed in there all the way, and very paintful.
              I hated that it happened to her, though she was very tolerant and
              sweet about it, but I knew right then that tacks were not an option
              for my students. (I had been questioning them anyway.)

              I actually use jewlry findings: eyepins, a plastic bead, and an
              earring backing to attach each pinwheel to a card stock panel (folded
              carstock) which is mounted to a dowel, kind of like a funny-shaped
              lollipop. I use pliers to "twirl" the ends of the eyepin to there is
              nothing sharp sticking out.

              It took me a long time to engineer my solution. And it certainly is
              not the least expensive or most efficient construction process. But
              it worked or me--nobody got hurt; our pinwheels spun beautifully, and
              no one's fell apart.

              HTH,
              Peace be with you!
              Amy in TN
            • Sarah Palmer
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3 9:53 AM
                Regarding pinwheels, last year I too printed out the template (from the pinwheels for peace web site) and my students wrote and drew with markers.  The pinwheels were attached to colorful straws (not the bendy kind) with straight pins that went perpendicular through the top end of the straw.  The pointy ends were bent into a small spiral with jeweler's pliers.  This allowed enough "play" so the pinwheels could actually spin.  We attached ours to the top of the chain link fence around our parking lot by placing them downward through the top two links.  They were really pretty, spinning colorfully in the breeze, that is until it started to sprinkle...  Needless to say we brought in a bunch of soggy, limp paper attached to straws....

                THIS YEAR'S IMPROVEMENT!  I got a bunch of silvery film sheets and plastic rolls from a re-use place.  Thick, not flimsy.  I've cut the silver film into squares and made templates for cutting.  This way they'll stand up to our Northwest drizzle and look super great sparkling and spinning.  The straw/pin assembly will remain the same as it works really well.

                So, the bottom line is, use a durable material, unless you live in the desert!

                Sarah in Seattle

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3 9:57 AM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 4 6:39 AM
                    OOpos, I missed the post tat showed the original website for the
                    pinwheel, could someone please mail it to me?
                    Thank you, C-M