Praise is bad

  • henlaojim
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2006
      There is an interesting little debate at the follwing site that popped
      up through Stumble.com in which the author argues that praise should
      be avoided in teaching.

      http://teaching.mrbelshaw.co.uk/index.php/2006/01/06/a-brief-summary-of-the-best-practices-in-teaching/

      I think this makes an important distinction. I have seen too many
      middle school and high school students who don't seem to have any idea
      how to respond to anything except extravegant praise and who seem to
      think that they have some sort of right to praise regardless of their
      work.

      Just thought it might be of some interest.