Re: Information on Canvas from Bill - to Amanda and all

  • Amanda
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6 5:51 PM
      Wow. That was so long and detailed that I printed it out. I will
      definitely look up the book you cited. I deeply appreciate that you
      (and others) were so willing to spend time explaining things to me,
      when you don't even know me. I sound like a goof, but I'm touched,
      and just wanted to say thank you.
      Amanda

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Decker" <JDecker@w...>
      wrote:
      > Bill Merrill tried to send this to the list but couldn't get the
      message
      > through so I am posting for him.
      > Bill is a professor - The closest I could find to what might be
      the school
      > is: http://www.cis.ctc.edu/
      > (Is that it, Bill?). Bill's work sounds interesting to me. I asked
      him to
      > send some images. I know this message is a duplication to one list
      as I did
      > see Woody post it. I just don't remember which list it was.
      Amanda, feel
      > free to email Professor Merrill (bmerrill@c...)
      >
      > Amanda,
      >
      > Artist canvas has different sizing amounts in it compared to
      regular
      > clothing fabrics. If you buy cotton duck at a fabric store, it'll
      work.
      > Stretch the canvas, but don't wash it first. If you want to for
      example
      > pour paint (acrylic) on the canvas like Morris Louis or Paul
      Jenkins, put
      > some mordant ( like alum ) in some warm water and use a stiff
      scrub brush,
      > use the mordant mixture and scrub the surface of the canvas. This
      will
      > break the surface tension of the gelatin sizing applied to the
      canvas at the
      > factory. Renaissance painters used rabbit skin glue to size the
      canvas,
      > make it taught, seal the linen and then paint the canvas surface
      with gesso
      > before painting. Gessoing the canvas keeps the oil paint from
      rotting the
      > canvas...linseed oil etc. rots raw canvas. If you size a canvas
      with
      > unflavored Knox gelatin, dissolve a package of gelatin in cold
      water and let
      > it bloom. After a few minutes stir the mix and heat it to near
      boiling - do
      > not let it burn. Apply the mix to the canvas surface with a big
      brush, let
      > the canvas dry and then gesso the surface of the canvas. I buy
      Frederix
      > cotton duck canvas for $5 or six dollars a yard and the canvas is
      72" wide.
      > I don't size my canvas's with gelatin, I stretch the canvas and
      put several
      > coats of gesso on the canvas. I do paintings that are comprised
      of abutted
      > parts that are dimensionalized and the parts are bolted together.
      The backs
      > have another frame network over all the parts and the entire piece
      has
      > canvas
      > stretched over it. None of the framing network shows and the
      canvas seems
      > to float out from the wall. When stretching narrow, raised
      surface parts I
      > stretch the canvas on the bias so there is the possibility to
      really stretch
      > the canvas. I dampen the areas where the canvas needs to be
      pulled around a
      > corner. I may apply Elmer's waterproof glue under the canvas that
      is wet
      > and
      > sometimes staple the canvas to hold it in place until it dries,
      then I
      > remove the staples so they don't interfere when putting different
      parts
      > together.
      >
      > I build frames from brick molding and use clear 1 x 2 lumber for
      bracing.
      > If I am stretching a regular canvas, I don't staple the edges, I
      dampen the
      > corners and pull the canvas around the exposed edge and staple it
      so no
      > staples are exposed to the viewer. My canvas's are without frames
      as I
      > paint the edges.
      >
      > A good book for you is entitled Painting; Visual and Technical
      fundamentals
      > by Nathan Goldstein. This covers all sorts of painting....good
      book!!!!!

      > I have taught painting for 35 years at the college level and am so
      impressed
      > with the fact that we still learn and grow throughout our lives.
      >
      > Keep painting the best ones are still in you!
      >
      > Bill Merrill bmerrill@c...
      >
      > Judy Decker - Ohio
      > Jdecker@w...
      > Incredible Art Department
      > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
      > http://www.incredibleart.tk
      >
      > (P.S. for Bill - today was a good day - smile - this is only post
      number 4
      > to Getty)
      >
      > (P.P.S. for everyone...Anytime your messages don't go through.
      What has