Re: [art_education] Extra Credit?

  • debbie nicholas
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
      I do not offer extra credit but do give "Get Out of
      Jail Free" Cards. Cards may be used to leave the
      classroom to use the restroom or get a drink of water;
      or may turn in work a day late without penalty. They
      get the cards when they do something I feel is worthy
      - extra work, bringing things to class we can use for
      still lifes or magazines.

      debbie

      --- "Anna K. Ball" <picapica@...> wrote:

      > I give extra credit points to studnets who do
      > "un-homework". Anything they bead, draw, paint,
      > etc. at home they may bring it in and show me or
      > show a photograph if it is something like a dress
      > for a pow wow dance. I want to encourage the use of
      > brains outside of school. While I realize that
      > someone may bring in something an older sibling did,
      > I trust my students and there has been very little
      > abuse of this opportunity for extra credit.
      >
      > I do stress that this cannot be used to replace any
      > work that is required in my class--it can be used as
      > extra credit.
      >
      > --anna in south dakota
      >

      > Middle school teachers,
      > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering,
      > extra credit work? I
      > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering
      > another grade (but
      > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the
      > policy),so what are some
      > other ideas to have it or not?
      >
      > Thanks for your input!
      > Eileen

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • mmcarman109
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
        I am a high school art teacher and extra credit keeps my sanity. If
        they finish an assignment while others are still working extra credit
        keeps them busy and out of trouble. I only grade it at the end of each
        9 week period so I don't spend a lot of time grading, and if it is not
        labeled correctly they get no credit. Doing extra credit when they
        finish an assignment is not optional, but mandatory.
      • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
          > Middle school teachers,
          > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
          > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
          > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
          > other ideas to have it or not?
          >
          > Thanks for your input!
          > Eileen
          >

          > I award 10 participation points per day. If the students are not there
          they do not get them. I offer two options: one they can come in on
          their own time and make up the ten points or I offer extra credit
          assignments at the end of the quarter. I have criteria they have to
          meet to get the extra credit-for each criteria they complete they get
          points. As far as late assignments go I let them turn it in until the
          end of the grading period. I find that most students who take a long
          time do better quality work and I do not penalize for that.

        • drrf1108
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
            I offer extra credit lessons to keep the kids busy between projects.
            It helps out the students who are struggling or not art oriented. I
            think it helps their grade out alot and if they are motivated enough
            to do the work, I am willing to give them a grade. I give 5 points
            for their effort as long as it is well done.