Re: [art_education] Extra Credit?

  • Lenny Sanz
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
      In the past, I've given extra credit assignments for those who finish
      the main
      one early, during class time. It's an expansion on the main project.
      I don't actually grade it,
      but put a check or check plus in the grade book. When it comes time to
      average
      grades, I add points to the average by adding up all extra credits. I
      usually
      add about 2 pts. per check.

      I find that most kids are more motivated when they know that their
      grade is effected.
      (these are middle schoolers)

      I also have assigned extra credit for students who are not doing well,
      to pull up their grade.
      But not very often.

      Hope this helps,
      Donna

      > Middle school teachers,
      > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
      > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
      > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
      > other ideas to have it or not?
      >
      > Thanks for your input!
      > Eileen
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • debbie nicholas
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
        I do not offer extra credit but do give "Get Out of
        Jail Free" Cards. Cards may be used to leave the
        classroom to use the restroom or get a drink of water;
        or may turn in work a day late without penalty. They
        get the cards when they do something I feel is worthy
        - extra work, bringing things to class we can use for
        still lifes or magazines.

        debbie

        --- "Anna K. Ball" <picapica@...> wrote:

        > I give extra credit points to studnets who do
        > "un-homework". Anything they bead, draw, paint,
        > etc. at home they may bring it in and show me or
        > show a photograph if it is something like a dress
        > for a pow wow dance. I want to encourage the use of
        > brains outside of school. While I realize that
        > someone may bring in something an older sibling did,
        > I trust my students and there has been very little
        > abuse of this opportunity for extra credit.
        >
        > I do stress that this cannot be used to replace any
        > work that is required in my class--it can be used as
        > extra credit.
        >
        > --anna in south dakota
        >

        > Middle school teachers,
        > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering,
        > extra credit work? I
        > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering
        > another grade (but
        > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the
        > policy),so what are some
        > other ideas to have it or not?
        >
        > Thanks for your input!
        > Eileen

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • mmcarman109
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
          I am a high school art teacher and extra credit keeps my sanity. If
          they finish an assignment while others are still working extra credit
          keeps them busy and out of trouble. I only grade it at the end of each
          9 week period so I don't spend a lot of time grading, and if it is not
          labeled correctly they get no credit. Doing extra credit when they
          finish an assignment is not optional, but mandatory.
        • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
            > Middle school teachers,
            > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
            > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
            > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
            > other ideas to have it or not?
            >
            > Thanks for your input!
            > Eileen
            >

            > I award 10 participation points per day. If the students are not there
            they do not get them. I offer two options: one they can come in on
            their own time and make up the ten points or I offer extra credit
            assignments at the end of the quarter. I have criteria they have to
            meet to get the extra credit-for each criteria they complete they get
            points. As far as late assignments go I let them turn it in until the
            end of the grading period. I find that most students who take a long
            time do better quality work and I do not penalize for that.

          • drrf1108
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
              I offer extra credit lessons to keep the kids busy between projects.
              It helps out the students who are struggling or not art oriented. I
              think it helps their grade out alot and if they are motivated enough
              to do the work, I am willing to give them a grade. I give 5 points
              for their effort as long as it is well done.