Re: [art_education] Extra Credit?

  • piketeach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
      Howdy,

      The issue of "Extra Credit" is in the terminology.  To many students and their parents "extra credit" means "instead of credit"; I will only give "extra credit" after all assigned projects are finished.  Extra credit is not accepted as a substitute for the state standard work which is required.

      Terry
    • Anna K. Ball
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
        I give extra credit points to studnets who do "un-homework".  Anything they bead, draw, paint, etc. at home they may bring it in and show me or show a photograph if it is something like a dress for a pow wow dance.  I want to encourage the use of brains outside of school.  While I realize that someone may bring in something an older sibling did, I trust my students and there has been very little abuse of this opportunity for extra credit.

        I do stress that this cannot be used to replace any work that is required in my class--it can be used as extra credit.

        --anna in south dakota

        Middle school teachers,
        What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
        don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
        that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
        other ideas to have it or not?

        Thanks for your input!
        Eileen

      • Lenny Sanz
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
          In the past, I've given extra credit assignments for those who finish
          the main
          one early, during class time. It's an expansion on the main project.
          I don't actually grade it,
          but put a check or check plus in the grade book. When it comes time to
          average
          grades, I add points to the average by adding up all extra credits. I
          usually
          add about 2 pts. per check.

          I find that most kids are more motivated when they know that their
          grade is effected.
          (these are middle schoolers)

          I also have assigned extra credit for students who are not doing well,
          to pull up their grade.
          But not very often.

          Hope this helps,
          Donna

          > Middle school teachers,
          > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
          > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
          > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
          > other ideas to have it or not?
          >
          > Thanks for your input!
          > Eileen
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • debbie nicholas
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
            I do not offer extra credit but do give "Get Out of
            Jail Free" Cards. Cards may be used to leave the
            classroom to use the restroom or get a drink of water;
            or may turn in work a day late without penalty. They
            get the cards when they do something I feel is worthy
            - extra work, bringing things to class we can use for
            still lifes or magazines.

            debbie

            --- "Anna K. Ball" <picapica@...> wrote:

            > I give extra credit points to studnets who do
            > "un-homework". Anything they bead, draw, paint,
            > etc. at home they may bring it in and show me or
            > show a photograph if it is something like a dress
            > for a pow wow dance. I want to encourage the use of
            > brains outside of school. While I realize that
            > someone may bring in something an older sibling did,
            > I trust my students and there has been very little
            > abuse of this opportunity for extra credit.
            >
            > I do stress that this cannot be used to replace any
            > work that is required in my class--it can be used as
            > extra credit.
            >
            > --anna in south dakota
            >

            > Middle school teachers,
            > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering,
            > extra credit work? I
            > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering
            > another grade (but
            > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the
            > policy),so what are some
            > other ideas to have it or not?
            >
            > Thanks for your input!
            > Eileen

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • mmcarman109
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
              I am a high school art teacher and extra credit keeps my sanity. If
              they finish an assignment while others are still working extra credit
              keeps them busy and out of trouble. I only grade it at the end of each
              9 week period so I don't spend a lot of time grading, and if it is not
              labeled correctly they get no credit. Doing extra credit when they
              finish an assignment is not optional, but mandatory.
            • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
                > Middle school teachers,
                > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
                > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
                > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
                > other ideas to have it or not?
                >
                > Thanks for your input!
                > Eileen
                >

                > I award 10 participation points per day. If the students are not there
                they do not get them. I offer two options: one they can come in on
                their own time and make up the ten points or I offer extra credit
                assignments at the end of the quarter. I have criteria they have to
                meet to get the extra credit-for each criteria they complete they get
                points. As far as late assignments go I let them turn it in until the
                end of the grading period. I find that most students who take a long
                time do better quality work and I do not penalize for that.

              • drrf1108
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
                  --
                  I offer extra credit lessons to keep the kids busy between projects.
                  It helps out the students who are struggling or not art oriented. I