Extra Credit?

  • artmiddle
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
      Middle school teachers,
      What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
      don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
      that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
      other ideas to have it or not?

      Thanks for your input!
      Eileen
    • Judith Stenger
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
        Our county has reworked the entire grading and reporting process to be lined up with content standards.  No extra credit is allowed.  Many disagreed at first, but the thinking is that the grade should reflect to what degree the student met the state and county standards.
        Judy S

        On Sep 1, 2006, at 8:36 PM, artmiddle wrote:

        Middle school teachers,
        What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
        don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
        that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
        other ideas to have it or not?

        Thanks for your input!
        Eileen

        Peace and Grace
        Judy

      • piketeach@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
          Howdy,

          The issue of "Extra Credit" is in the terminology.  To many students and their parents "extra credit" means "instead of credit"; I will only give "extra credit" after all assigned projects are finished.  Extra credit is not accepted as a substitute for the state standard work which is required.

          Terry
        • Anna K. Ball
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
            I give extra credit points to studnets who do "un-homework".  Anything they bead, draw, paint, etc. at home they may bring it in and show me or show a photograph if it is something like a dress for a pow wow dance.  I want to encourage the use of brains outside of school.  While I realize that someone may bring in something an older sibling did, I trust my students and there has been very little abuse of this opportunity for extra credit.

            I do stress that this cannot be used to replace any work that is required in my class--it can be used as extra credit.

            --anna in south dakota

            Middle school teachers,
            What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
            don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
            that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
            other ideas to have it or not?

            Thanks for your input!
            Eileen

          • Lenny Sanz
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
              In the past, I've given extra credit assignments for those who finish
              the main
              one early, during class time. It's an expansion on the main project.
              I don't actually grade it,
              but put a check or check plus in the grade book. When it comes time to
              average
              grades, I add points to the average by adding up all extra credits. I
              usually
              add about 2 pts. per check.

              I find that most kids are more motivated when they know that their
              grade is effected.
              (these are middle schoolers)

              I also have assigned extra credit for students who are not doing well,
              to pull up their grade.
              But not very often.

              Hope this helps,
              Donna

              > Middle school teachers,
              > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
              > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
              > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
              > other ideas to have it or not?
              >
              > Thanks for your input!
              > Eileen
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • debbie nicholas
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
                I do not offer extra credit but do give "Get Out of
                Jail Free" Cards. Cards may be used to leave the
                classroom to use the restroom or get a drink of water;
                or may turn in work a day late without penalty. They
                get the cards when they do something I feel is worthy
                - extra work, bringing things to class we can use for
                still lifes or magazines.

                debbie

                --- "Anna K. Ball" <picapica@...> wrote:

                > I give extra credit points to studnets who do
                > "un-homework". Anything they bead, draw, paint,
                > etc. at home they may bring it in and show me or
                > show a photograph if it is something like a dress
                > for a pow wow dance. I want to encourage the use of
                > brains outside of school. While I realize that
                > someone may bring in something an older sibling did,
                > I trust my students and there has been very little
                > abuse of this opportunity for extra credit.
                >
                > I do stress that this cannot be used to replace any
                > work that is required in my class--it can be used as
                > extra credit.
                >
                > --anna in south dakota
                >

                > Middle school teachers,
                > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering,
                > extra credit work? I
                > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering
                > another grade (but
                > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the
                > policy),so what are some
                > other ideas to have it or not?
                >
                > Thanks for your input!
                > Eileen

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • mmcarman109
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
                  I am a high school art teacher and extra credit keeps my sanity. If
                  they finish an assignment while others are still working extra credit
                  keeps them busy and out of trouble. I only grade it at the end of each
                  9 week period so I don't spend a lot of time grading, and if it is not
                  labeled correctly they get no credit. Doing extra credit when they
                  finish an assignment is not optional, but mandatory.
                • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
                    > Middle school teachers,
                    > What are your ideas on offering, or not offering, extra credit work? I
                    > don't want the hassel of checking it and entering another grade (but
                    > that sounds lazy to a parent questioning the policy),so what are some
                    > other ideas to have it or not?
                    >
                    > Thanks for your input!
                    > Eileen
                    >

                    > I award 10 participation points per day. If the students are not there
                    they do not get them. I offer two options: one they can come in on
                    their own time and make up the ten points or I offer extra credit
                    assignments at the end of the quarter. I have criteria they have to
                    meet to get the extra credit-for each criteria they complete they get
                    points. As far as late assignments go I let them turn it in until the
                    end of the grading period. I find that most students who take a long
                    time do better quality work and I do not penalize for that.

                  • drrf1108
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
                      --
                      I offer extra credit lessons to keep the kids busy between projects.
                      It helps out the students who are struggling or not art oriented. I