Re: [art_education] Struggling....

  • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
      > I am a first year K-12 art teacher. I previously was a graphic
      > designer and illustrator for 17 years. I accepted a part time
      > position with a small remote rural school in northeast Colorado that
      > has a four day school week. The school suffered a fire last year and
      > lost almost all of its art supplies.
      >
      > I am in my second week and find that I feel somewhat lost. I have
      > only 8 HS students and have started on drawing basics with them.
      > There is a wide range of skill and attitudes regarding art. I have
      > three 35 minutes sessions, back to back each day, for elementary
      > (4,5 & 6 in one class, 2 & 3 in another, and K & 1 in the last). I
      > have approx. 16-18 students in each session. I only have 5 minutes
      > in between.
      >
      > I struggle to find lessons for my elementary that can be
      > accomplished in such a short window, be enjoyable, and I can still
      > be ready for my next class.
      >
      > I am using the first two weeks to acquaint myself with my students
      > and their skills, but then I need to dig in and focus on building
      > lesson plans and ordering the appropriate supplies to restock the
      > dept.
      >
      > I guess that I feel so overwhelmed that I am freezing up. Would
      > anyone share suggestions to help me to relax and get into a
      > productive mode?
      >
      > Cathy Martin
      > Woodrow, CO
      >

      > Cathy,

      I teach K-12 also, I have 50 minutes with each group. With K-1 this is
      too much time, 35 minutes is perfect. They can get through almost any
      project you think up in this amount of time. With the older ages I
      continue projects over a 2-6 week time period. You have small groups so
      clean up is quick and you have maximum time to work. I teach high school
      also and often times my elementary class is at the door before the bell
      rings--no turn around time!! Being prepared before hand is the key. Take
      a deep breath and go with the flow because that is key to being an art
      teacher!

    • Staci Peltz (Thoms)
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi Cathy,

        I too am a new teacher this year after 6 years of doing graphic
        design. I am working i=for a chater school and only have $100 a
        quater for supplies. This is the first year that they have had a
        really art teacher so I am starting from scratch. I wrote a letter
        to all the parents asking for donations of supplies and recieved an
        over whelmeing response. you would be suprised how much they want to
        help.

        I have 5-8 once a week for 45 mins. and k-1 twice a week for 30
        mins. it is a struggle you are not alone. I am making up my own
        curriculum as I go. These kids are very patient with me and we are
        experimenting alot. I have found that as long as they are not doing
        worksheets they are happy and they don't know if a lesson bombs or
        not. so trial by fire is the method to my madness right now. Good
        luck and remeber you are not alone.

        Staci
        cleveland, oh

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "threerefusals"