Struggling....

  • threerefusals
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
      I am a first year K-12 art teacher. I previously was a graphic
      designer and illustrator for 17 years. I accepted a part time
      position with a small remote rural school in northeast Colorado that
      has a four day school week. The school suffered a fire last year and
      lost almost all of its art supplies.

      I am in my second week and find that I feel somewhat lost. I have
      only 8 HS students and have started on drawing basics with them.
      There is a wide range of skill and attitudes regarding art. I have
      three 35 minutes sessions, back to back each day, for elementary
      (4,5 & 6 in one class, 2 & 3 in another, and K & 1 in the last). I
      have approx. 16-18 students in each session. I only have 5 minutes
      in between.

      I struggle to find lessons for my elementary that can be
      accomplished in such a short window, be enjoyable, and I can still
      be ready for my next class.

      I am using the first two weeks to acquaint myself with my students
      and their skills, but then I need to dig in and focus on building
      lesson plans and ordering the appropriate supplies to restock the
      dept.

      I guess that I feel so overwhelmed that I am freezing up. Would
      anyone share suggestions to help me to relax and get into a
      productive mode?

      Cathy Martin
      Woodrow, CO
    • Beth Morris
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
        Our elementary art teachers here only have 30 min classes, back to back.  (One at the door, when one is leaving).  I don't teach in the schools here anymore, but when I did, I did lessons that spanned several weeks, instead of aiming for 30 minute lessons.  I also did whole thematic units, so once I taught about a certain artist, technique, etc, we would build on it and do more than one piece relating to it.  (ie:  Read about Monet, The Magical Garden of Claude Monet....then do collage waterlilies with chalk pastel and a painting in impressionistic style -- I also did a big Egyptian unit, 2-3 projects inspired by Egypt once they knew a lot of the basics.)  All of this could take 4-6 weeks.  You have small groups, which should work to your benefit as far as time goes (less to collect, pass out....).

        There is a "tear bear" lesson on the Incredible Art Dept. that would be great, and probably only take 1 class period for your K-1 group.

        Good luck planning, I know it can be so overwhelming!!!

        Beth, in Marietta, GA
      • K A
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
          Hi Cathy ~

          Thanks for sharing your situation.  I would suggest doing the same basic projects for various grade levels, modifying the activity to the developmental level of students.  That would be one thing to help you feel comfortable in the beginning.  As far as actual lessons, search all over the Incredible Arts Dept and do image searches online.  Find an image that speaks to you and then perhaps you could ask us again for suggestions about that topic in particular.  That way we can help by building on something that you are already excited about.  I know this sounds so general, but I wanted to let you feel support while at the same time finding what's "you".

          ~  Kathleen

          "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

          - Pablo Picasso

        • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006

          • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
              > I am a first year K-12 art teacher. I previously was a graphic
              > designer and illustrator for 17 years. I accepted a part time
              > position with a small remote rural school in northeast Colorado that
              > has a four day school week. The school suffered a fire last year and
              > lost almost all of its art supplies.
              >
              > I am in my second week and find that I feel somewhat lost. I have
              > only 8 HS students and have started on drawing basics with them.
              > There is a wide range of skill and attitudes regarding art. I have
              > three 35 minutes sessions, back to back each day, for elementary
              > (4,5 & 6 in one class, 2 & 3 in another, and K & 1 in the last). I
              > have approx. 16-18 students in each session. I only have 5 minutes
              > in between.
              >
              > I struggle to find lessons for my elementary that can be
              > accomplished in such a short window, be enjoyable, and I can still
              > be ready for my next class.
              >
              > I am using the first two weeks to acquaint myself with my students
              > and their skills, but then I need to dig in and focus on building
              > lesson plans and ordering the appropriate supplies to restock the
              > dept.
              >
              > I guess that I feel so overwhelmed that I am freezing up. Would
              > anyone share suggestions to help me to relax and get into a
              > productive mode?
              >
              > Cathy Martin
              > Woodrow, CO
              >

              > Cathy,

              I teach K-12 also, I have 50 minutes with each group. With K-1 this is
              too much time, 35 minutes is perfect. They can get through almost any
              project you think up in this amount of time. With the older ages I
              continue projects over a 2-6 week time period. You have small groups so
              clean up is quick and you have maximum time to work. I teach high school
              also and often times my elementary class is at the door before the bell
              rings--no turn around time!! Being prepared before hand is the key. Take
              a deep breath and go with the flow because that is key to being an art
              teacher!

            • Staci Peltz (Thoms)
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
                Hi Cathy,

                I too am a new teacher this year after 6 years of doing graphic
                design. I am working i=for a chater school and only have $100 a
                quater for supplies. This is the first year that they have had a
                really art teacher so I am starting from scratch. I wrote a letter
                to all the parents asking for donations of supplies and recieved an
                over whelmeing response. you would be suprised how much they want to
                help.

                I have 5-8 once a week for 45 mins. and k-1 twice a week for 30
                mins. it is a struggle you are not alone. I am making up my own
                curriculum as I go. These kids are very patient with me and we are
                experimenting alot. I have found that as long as they are not doing
                worksheets they are happy and they don't know if a lesson bombs or
                not. so trial by fire is the method to my madness right now. Good
                luck and remeber you are not alone.

                Staci
                cleveland, oh

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "threerefusals"