Re: [art_education] art on a cart...first day!

  • The Austin's
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 5:51 PM
      I taught on a cart for 7 years and the one thing it taught me was
      organization! What I did the first day was to make portfolios with every
      student. They folded an 18x24" sheet of tagboard in 1/2, and then glued on a
      xeroxed copied color wheel that also had the elements on it. They wrote
      their name in sharpie across the top along with their grade. Then they got
      to get out their new crayons, colored pencils, markers, etc. and while I
      walked around the room taping 1 side of their portfolio we colored in the
      primary colors, then the secondary colors. This took most of my class
      period, was good for classroom management, the kids got to use their new
      supplies. I left the portfolios in the classrooms for the teachers to store
      and redistribute prior to my next class. Their names across the top is great
      for helping you learn their names, the portfolios give them a place to store
      their projects.

      When you do a specific medium try to do it with several classes. Nothing is
      worse than painting with one class, weaving with yarn in another, and
      working on crepe paper masks in the third. Paint with all classes on a given
      day if possible. I had centers on my cart as well - I used them all the
      time. I posted my organization techniques for my cart on my website. I
      believe it's under "Teacher Stuff". Good luck and remember - when you leave
      the classroom the mess stays behind! :-) The one thing I really miss about
      the cart is I no longer integrate as easily - I would see what the kids were
      learning and tie in if I could. Now I tend to seclude myself in my classroom
      getting ready for the next class.
      ~*~Michal~*~
      K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
      http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

      > (1) I've been informed I'll be teaching on a cart. (Don't even get me
      > started about this one!) I'm used to having my own room, so if anyone
      > who teaches on a cart can offer any tips or suggestions, I would be
      > very greatful!!
      >
      > (2) What types of activites are appropriate for "the first day" of
      > elementary school art? I'm so used to middle school, that I'm not
      > really sure what would work with the little ones.
      >

      > Thank you, and continue enjoying the last little bit of summer!
    • Christa
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 9:02 PM
        -Thank you Michal!
        I think I sent you an email before I read your post, so forgive me
        if you got my question twice! The idea about the portfolios is
        excellent; it also allows the children to have a reference chart that
        they can keep on their desks and refer to throughout the class...what
        a great idea!! I'll make sure that I keep the art media changes to a
        minimum; I know just how tricky using too wide a variety of media (in
        one day) can be having one's own room, let alone having to switch
        from one room to the next. I guess I'd better invest in a good pair
        of sneakers...lol

        -Christa
      • The Austin's
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 9:30 PM
          No problem! One big difference between my cart and my classroom is my
          teaching style. While on the cart I was VERY structured. This eliminated
          paint on carpet, upset teachers, students wandering (I never knew just why
          they would be out of their seats). I never wasted a second! The only thing I
          really changed was I did very little sculpture. Our classrooms are fairly
          small to begin with, and I never felt I could impose on the classroom
          teachers to deal with 3-D stuff. I do abit more now, but I'll be the first
          to admit that teaching sculpture to elementary is my weakness (although that
          is my own art love!). Let me know if you have any questions as you go
          along - I am one of the few people in this world I think, that actually
          never truly minded my cart - it was just another "tool". Make the best of
          it, enjoy the art! :-)