art on a cart...first day!

  • Christa
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2003
      Hi, my name's Christa, I've been teaching middle school art for 7
      years. I will be teaching elementary school for the first time
      (starting in a few weeks!!) and I am really looking forward to it. I
      was wondering if other art educators could help me with two questions
      that I currently have:

      (1) I've been informed I'll be teaching on a cart. (Don't even get me
      started about this one!) I'm used to having my own room, so if anyone
      who teaches on a cart can offer any tips or suggestions, I would be
      very greatful!!

      (2) What types of activites are appropriate for "the first day" of
      elementary school art? I'm so used to middle school, that I'm not
      really sure what would work with the little ones.

      Thank you, and continue enjoying the last little bit of summer!
    • The Austin's
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2003
        I taught on a cart for 7 years and the one thing it taught me was
        organization! What I did the first day was to make portfolios with every
        student. They folded an 18x24" sheet of tagboard in 1/2, and then glued on a
        xeroxed copied color wheel that also had the elements on it. They wrote
        their name in sharpie across the top along with their grade. Then they got
        to get out their new crayons, colored pencils, markers, etc. and while I
        walked around the room taping 1 side of their portfolio we colored in the
        primary colors, then the secondary colors. This took most of my class
        period, was good for classroom management, the kids got to use their new
        supplies. I left the portfolios in the classrooms for the teachers to store
        and redistribute prior to my next class. Their names across the top is great
        for helping you learn their names, the portfolios give them a place to store
        their projects.

        When you do a specific medium try to do it with several classes. Nothing is
        worse than painting with one class, weaving with yarn in another, and
        working on crepe paper masks in the third. Paint with all classes on a given
        day if possible. I had centers on my cart as well - I used them all the
        time. I posted my organization techniques for my cart on my website. I
        believe it's under "Teacher Stuff". Good luck and remember - when you leave
        the classroom the mess stays behind! :-) The one thing I really miss about
        the cart is I no longer integrate as easily - I would see what the kids were
        learning and tie in if I could. Now I tend to seclude myself in my classroom
        getting ready for the next class.
        ~*~Michal~*~
        K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
        http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2003
          -Thank you Michal!
          I think I sent you an email before I read your post, so forgive me
          if you got my question twice! The idea about the portfolios is
          excellent; it also allows the children to have a reference chart that
          they can keep on their desks and refer to throughout the class...what
          a great idea!! I'll make sure that I keep the art media changes to a
          minimum; I know just how tricky using too wide a variety of media (in
          one day) can be having one's own room, let alone having to switch
          from one room to the next. I guess I'd better invest in a good pair
          of sneakers...lol

          -Christa
        • The Austin's
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2003
            No problem! One big difference between my cart and my classroom is my
            teaching style. While on the cart I was VERY structured. This eliminated
            paint on carpet, upset teachers, students wandering (I never knew just why
            they would be out of their seats). I never wasted a second! The only thing I
            really changed was I did very little sculpture. Our classrooms are fairly
            small to begin with, and I never felt I could impose on the classroom
            teachers to deal with 3-D stuff. I do abit more now, but I'll be the first
            to admit that teaching sculpture to elementary is my weakness (although that
            is my own art love!). Let me know if you have any questions as you go
            along - I am one of the few people in this world I think, that actually
            never truly minded my cart - it was just another "tool". Make the best of
            it, enjoy the art! :-)