Knott Just Another Quote - Culture

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      Well...pretty "quiet" morning on the lists....

      Dawn had some great lessons on Visual Culture - getting the kids to look at
      their culture...so I decided to see what kind of quotes I could find on
      Culture. (Dawn, if you are reading I'd love to share those lessons with the
      lists).

      From Art Quotations:
      http://www.painterskeys.com/quotationscf.htm#culture

      To be able to translate the customs, ideas and appearance of my times as I
      see them--in a word, to create a living art--this has been my aim. (Gustave
      Courbet)

      All art is an individual's expression of a culture. Cultures differ, so art
      looks different. (Henry Glassie)

      Culture is something that evolves out of the simple, enduring elements of
      everyday life; elements most truthfully expressed in the folk arts and
      crafts of a nation. (Thor Hansen)

      The artist has to be a guardian of the culture. (Robert Longo)

      From other sites:
      The new human type cannot be properly understood without awareness of what
      he is continuously exposed to from the world of things about him, even in
      his most secret innervations. ~ Adorno, Theodor W. (1974)

      I give culture this meaning: exercise of thought, acquisition of general
      ideas, habit of connecting causes and effects ... I believe that it means
      thinking well, whatever one thinks, and therefore acting well, whatever one
      does. ~ Gramsci, Antonio

      Each culture has its own characteristic manner of locomotion, sitting,
      standing, reclining, and gesturing. ~ Hall, Edward T

      [Culture] refers to the codes with which meaning is constructed, conveyed,
      and understood ... cultures are maps of meaning through which the world is
      made intelligible. Cultures are not simply systems of meaning and value
      carried around in the head. They are made concrete through patterns of
      social organization. ~ Jackson, P.

      Our future depends on our combining our passions with our best interests. ~
      Unknown

      "Culture is the way we do things around here" ~ (from a DBAE class I took)

      Art - Culture Advcacy
      "Education is a primary agent of acculturation and art is closely linked to
      culture. Since culture is a fundamental imperative after food, shelter, and
      progeny, both education and art have survival roles."
      Stuart Hodes, 1989 Arts In Education

      More Art Advocacy Quotes:
      http://www.americansforthearts.org/artsexchange/quotes.asp

      Fabulous Friday already! My how time flies.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
      http://www.incredibleart.tk

      P.S. If you folks want to see this featured continued once school starts -
      please reply to me OFF LIST (Jdecker@...).
      Here is a fun thing...the administrator that all the staff hated at my
      building years ago that I really admired is now in Cleveland City Schools
      (District CEO) and just reiceved a $54,000 bonus. Her salary is $278,000. It
      has to be the same person (I'm writing a letter to the Cleveland School
      Board, just for fun - to solve my curiosity). She was/is really in it for
      the kids. She got her bonus because of bringing up test scores and
      attendance rates. She was the one who started Positive Attitudes Work at my
      former school. That is one idea of hers that is still in place.