Story Pots - Ceramics idea for middle school - high school

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2003
      Linda Erling-Baker shared her story pots with me
      The idea came from Michal Austin
      http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/highschool/ceramics/story.html
      (Linda - I need the name of your school and location)
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/story.htm
      These were done with a group non-art major high school students.
      After the students were familiar with various methods of creating a pot
      (slab, coil, pressed coil, draped slab), she brought in about 20 children's
      books from the library. Next she had them do thumbnail sketches of 3 ideas
      and choose the best one for the pot. They had to illustrate the story in the
      form of a pot.

      Here are some of the solutions. Some of these will be placed on High School
      Ceramics ideas page (and lesson plans) in the future. I'm waiting for more
      ideas to come in.
      I can see this being done as a Service Learning project, too. Maybe have the
      students read stories to the kindergarten students and teach them how to
      make a pot (a simple bowl type).

      Remember - all of these files I am posting will eventually be linked up....
      I am just getting them out to you the fast way now (and one at a time is
      easiest for me). Once I get files linked - I will copy the links on one
      email and post a bunch at one time (to cut down on the number of posts
      during the school year). I am taking the suggestion of several and will be
      post Incredible Art Department updates in one big email. I think it will
      make sense to put lessons plans on one message and link updates on another.
      We'll see how it goes. I am always open to suggestions.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
      http://www.incredibleart.tk