High School Ceramics Lesson Plan - IAD File

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2003
      Dear Art Educators,

      Here is a high school ceramics lesson plan by Deborah Bridges. I'll be
      linking it up to high school plans in the future. It is also good for middle
      school.
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/relief.htm
      Images:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/relief1.jpg
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/relief2.jpg
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/relief3.jpg

      I am just getting these files out the easy way this summer so folks can save
      them - edit - print them off.

      My first year teaching (1976), I had a student make a clay relief (about 12
      x 18) - He made a plaster mold of it then cast the relief sculpture a couple
      times. One for himself and one for a gift. He gave them a bronze patina with
      a variety of spray paints and car paints.. He saved the mold in case he
      wanted to make more casts later. I didn't have special mold separator soap.
      He just used dish liquid mixed with vegetable oil. He did tint the first
      layer of plaster (used bluing) when making the mold so he could see the
      layer between mold and cast. The first layer was kind of flicked on the clay
      to force it into all the nooks and crannies (it was messy - but easy to
      clean up). He had to be very careful about undercuts when making the clay
      model. Any undercuts would make it difficult for the mold to separate from
      the cast. If I were to do the lesson today, I would have him cast it in
      paper, too. I'll add this lesson extension onto Deb's lesson. Thanks for
      sharing the lesson, Deborah.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
      http://www.incredibleart.tk