Re: [art_education] look for unusual drawing media

  • Jan Vallar-Gillette
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 3, 2006
      I've had my kids paint with fly swatters before. The
      paper turns out great!
      Jan VG

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mikel Lee
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4, 2006
        You could cover the paper with charcoal, rub it in
        with a paper towel a couple of times to make the paper
        black and draw subtractively with erasers. - Mikel

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • kamla ravikumar
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4, 2006
          Hi,
          You could apply craft glue on your drawing in certain areas to give relief and paint with coloured inks.It gives amazing 2D effects to your picture.

          Have you tried Bread craft? Crumble bread and mix with craft glue and zinc-oxide powder.You can use the clay on any surface, before it dries.Its great for murals.

          Kamla

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • artgirl109@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
            Dear Group,
            I found out last week that because we are now a "D" school every
            teacher needs to do 15 minutes of reading and writing at the beginning
            of our 80 minute block.

            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
              Sorry,
              I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
              last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
              of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
              in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
              have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
              for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
              some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
              kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
              complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
              reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
              how they would like it. This is high school.
              susie
              and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
            • Erica
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                Ahhh, this sounds so familiar....by any chance are you teaching in Florida? I am a brand
                new art teacher at a "D" school as well, and I am looking at facing a similar situation as the
                FCAT approaches, and I have yet to find any good reading material that I feel would hold
                relevance to art. So, unfortunately, I haven't any suggestions - but know you're not alone!
                When I find something I'll send it your way!

                *Erica*

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, artgirl109@... wrote:

                > Sorry,
                > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                > how they would like it. This is high school.
                > susie
                > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
                > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

              • Kristi Gilleland
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006

                  Ahhh, this sounds so familiar.... by any chance are you teaching in Florida? I am a brand
                  new art teacher at a "D" school as well, and I am looking at facing a similar situation as the
                  FCAT approaches, and I have yet to find any good reading material that I feel would hold
                  relevance to art. So, unfortunately, I haven't any suggestions - but know you're not alone!
                  When I find something I'll send it your way!

                  *Erica*

                  --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, artgirl109@. .. wrote:

                  > Sorry,
                  > I accidentally mailed
                  my response before completing it. I found out
                  > last week that because we
                  are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                  > of reading and writing at
                  the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                  > in on a A/B schedule. My
                  problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                  > have some of the same
                  kids in both so I need to have different things
                  > for each. I have about
                  a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                  > some interesting reading
                  for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                  > kids have to keep a
                  notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                  > complete sentences. Any
                  suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                  > reading "A single Shard"
                  by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                  > how they would like it.
                  This is high school.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                    Our homeschool group just learned how to make indigenous pottery. We've all
                    been INTO it.

                    Anyway, our teacher, Tamara Beane - recommended a book called A SINGLE
                    SHARD. OMG we all loved it! The kids have passed our one copy around- from
                    ages 6-16. I read it too (39) - and its one of the best stories I've ever
                    read - with great work ethics and so much ART it in. WOW. You are never
                    old for a good story.

                    Here is a link to some lesson plans built around the book:
                    http://eduscapes.com/newbery/02a.htm <http://eduscapes.com/newbery/02a.htm>

                    And here's a link on Korean Pottery you might like - We did - check out the
                    the CELADON vases - http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm
                    <http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm> The vase
                    http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm <http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm> from
                    the 12th century with all the cranes inspired the book. It's a great link to
                    some beautiful stuff.

                    I would do what we did - have them TRY to make something first - then do the
                    book. Gosh our stuff all exploded. lol It makes you appreciate the work
                    of pottery to do good work and watch it explode in a fire. (The Cherokees
                    used open fires.)

                    Could you get them copies of this to read? Or pass ONE copy around in
                    class? This book gives you story, work ethics, art, geography, and
                    archeology all in one - and our kids loved it!

                    -Kristi Gilleland

                    ________________________________

                    <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , artgirl109@... wrote:

                    > Sorry,
                    > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                    > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                    > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                    > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                    > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                    > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                    > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                    > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                    > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                    > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                    > how they would like it. This is high school.
                    > susie
                    > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
                    > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                  • kathie omalley
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                      How about "Sudako and the Thousand Paper Cranes?"
                      I've used a shorter elementary level edition when
                      making origami cranes with my 5th grade classes. When
                      I taught middle school I read the original version of
                      the book to my 7-8 grade class as they folded. We
                      broke it down into several classes. We folded at
                      least 5 cranes and ran a string through them, stacking
                      them. On the bottom of the string they tied a small
                      bunch of long tensil to the string and hid the knot
                      inside the first crane body. On the top of the top
                      crane they embellished with beading going up the
                      string. I would do this in December. It was not an
                      ornament, it was a symbol of wishing for peace on
                      earth and they could easily relate to it as they were
                      seeing the same messages in Christmas cards at home
                      and Coke commercials on the TV! It was a good
                      sculpture link and multicultural link. It also was a
                      great read. The social message of valuing peace
                      really sticks.

                      --- Kristi Gilleland <ebay@...>

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                        ....What about the "Griffin and Sabine" books?- wow,
                        you could take those in lots of creative directions
                        and again, it's a compelling story. Give it a
                        "google" and see what you think,....

                      • Nancy
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006

                          Hi Kathie,

                          I checked on amazon and they don’t have this book.  Is this the correct title?  Could you tell me the author?

                          Thank you!

                          Nancy

                          --- Kristi Gilleland <ebay@billieellisont erry.com>
                          wrote:

                          > _____

                          Do You Yahoo!?
                          http://mail. yahoo.com

                        • smjahnle@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006
                            In a message dated 8/9/2006 8:55:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, artgirl109@... writes:
                            I found out
                            last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                            of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block.
                            Hi Susie:  How about the Newbery book From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigberg?  At my school, the art, music, gym and computer teachers will have to do "Activity Duty" period with the 7th and 8th graders this year.  I didn't want to do a strictly studio session with them, so I put together a unit based on this book, set in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  The school purchased a class set of the novel, and we'll read it together, then use laptops and studio projects to investigate certain aspects of the plot, the Met museum, Michelangelo, etc.  There are lots of fun related Webquests about this title, as well as most of the Newbery award winning books, online.  Another book I'd like to investigate in this way with the kids is Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet.  Good luck, SandyJ
                          • jdecker4art
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006
                              Greetings Nancy and all,

                              Here is the link to the book:
                              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0698118022/002-6267821-6935206?
                              v=glance&n=283155
                              by Eleanor Coerr

                              "Nancy " wrote:

                              > Hi Kathie,

                              > I checked on amazon and they don't have this book. Is this the
                              correct
                              > title? Could you tell me the author?

                              > Nancy

                              > On Behalf Of kathie omalley

                              > How about "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes?"
                              > I've used a shorter elementary level edition when
                              > making origami cranes with my 5th grade classes. When
                              > I taught middle school I read the original version of
                              > the book to my 7-8 grade class as they folded.
                            • katday2001
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006
                                I have my Art 1 class do a daily journal entry in their sketchbooks--
                                usually responding to a reproduction or art's place in their world.
                                Also, does anyone do the Scholastic Art magazine program? Every
                                year I drool over their sample and decide our school cant' afford
                                it, on top of all the supplies I ordered, but if you're talking
                                about buying sets of books for everyone.... It's very nice quality
                                and focuses on one movement or artist each month--will not fill up
                                more than about an hour of class time to read and answer questions
                                on all the articles...but always includes a lesson to go along with
                                the topic.
                                Kathleen
                                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, artgirl109@... wrote:

                                > Sorry,
                                > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found
                                out
                                > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15
                                minutes
                                > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block.
                                We are
                                > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different
                                preps and
                                > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different
                                things
                                > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking
                                for
                                > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class.
                                The
                                > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                                > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I
                                thought of
                                > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not
                                sure
                                > how they would like it. This is high school.
                                > susie

                                ___
                                > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures,
                                email
                                > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                              • candi price
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 13, 2006
                                  Hi Susie,

                                  I took a class called Reading in the Content Area through Western Mich. Univ. last year.  It was a great class and I learned a lot.  We read a great book called "Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?" by Cris Tovani.  It's a very short and easy read.  I highly recommend getting a copy and possibly getting the videos for staff development at your school.

                                  Among many topics, she writes about using "accessible text" to get students' attention and to get content across.  Examples of accessible text could be:  poems, fiction, picture books, newspaper articles, catalogs, internet pieces, historical recounts, song lyrics, letters, journals, maps, catalogs, magazine articles, quotes, biographical info, short non-fiction, etc.

                                  She also recommends gathering text sets:  a group of accessible texts that relate to  a theme.  Use different lengths of text, difficulty of texts, types of text, etc.

                                  I was so intrigued by the idea of text sets, I'm thinking about doing this as my final project in my masters program.  I teach elementary art and am finding some great texts for my older students.  Good luck with this!

                                  ~Candi Price

                                  Do you Yahoo!?
                                • pent19
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 15, 2006
                                    Everyone is always mentioning such great resources on this group that
                                    it is hard to keep up with them all. I am a big fan of half.com (part
                                    of ebay) they sell new and used books at great prices. I have been
                                    keeping a wishlist of the books i want to buy, and buying some when i
                                    have the extra cash. I have also found some great art textbooks (From
                                    davis and glencoe publications) on here as well. They are older
                                    editions, but much cheaper than new editions. I have found many used
                                    books, dvds, and videos, that are offered in art supply catalogs for
                                    a fraction of the price. If you have some time spend it searching
                                    through here! I thought some of the budget conscious would enjoy this
                                    tidbit! Michele

                                  • MaryAnn F. Kohl
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 15, 2006
                                      Re: [art_education] Buying cheap books! (used book idea) Another great source that checks All Other Sources for used books is:

                                      http://www.addall.com
                                      Then select “used books”
                                      Next put in your keywords, and you will get a list of all the used book sellers who have the title and how much it costs from each one.