RE: [art_education] look for unusual drawing media

  • familyerickson
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 3, 2006
        NASCO sells Black glue   # 9724854
      Here's a recipe but I have never made it myself--I just buy it--so you may want to experiment with a small amount to see if it is what you want.....
       Mix black India ink or black paint with white Elmer's glue until you have black colored glue. Keep the glue in the glue bottle to make drawing with the glue easier to control. Note: Black powered tempra is ideal to mix with the white glue, although black paint will work as well.

    • Jan Vallar-Gillette
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 3, 2006
        I've had my kids paint with fly swatters before. The
        paper turns out great!
        Jan VG

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mikel Lee
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4, 2006
          You could cover the paper with charcoal, rub it in
          with a paper towel a couple of times to make the paper
          black and draw subtractively with erasers. - Mikel

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • kamla ravikumar
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 4, 2006
            Hi,
            You could apply craft glue on your drawing in certain areas to give relief and paint with coloured inks.It gives amazing 2D effects to your picture.

            Have you tried Bread craft? Crumble bread and mix with craft glue and zinc-oxide powder.You can use the clay on any surface, before it dries.Its great for murals.

            Kamla

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • artgirl109@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
              Dear Group,
              I found out last week that because we are now a "D" school every
              teacher needs to do 15 minutes of reading and writing at the beginning
              of our 80 minute block.

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                Sorry,
                I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                how they would like it. This is high school.
                susie
                and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
              • Erica
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                  Ahhh, this sounds so familiar....by any chance are you teaching in Florida? I am a brand
                  new art teacher at a "D" school as well, and I am looking at facing a similar situation as the
                  FCAT approaches, and I have yet to find any good reading material that I feel would hold
                  relevance to art. So, unfortunately, I haven't any suggestions - but know you're not alone!
                  When I find something I'll send it your way!

                  *Erica*

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, artgirl109@... wrote:

                  > Sorry,
                  > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                  > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                  > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                  > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                  > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                  > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                  > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                  > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                  > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                  > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                  > how they would like it. This is high school.
                  > susie
                  > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
                  > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                • Kristi Gilleland
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006

                    Ahhh, this sounds so familiar.... by any chance are you teaching in Florida? I am a brand
                    new art teacher at a "D" school as well, and I am looking at facing a similar situation as the
                    FCAT approaches, and I have yet to find any good reading material that I feel would hold
                    relevance to art. So, unfortunately, I haven't any suggestions - but know you're not alone!
                    When I find something I'll send it your way!

                    *Erica*

                    --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, artgirl109@. .. wrote:

                    > Sorry,
                    > I accidentally mailed
                    my response before completing it. I found out
                    > last week that because we
                    are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                    > of reading and writing at
                    the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                    > in on a A/B schedule. My
                    problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                    > have some of the same
                    kids in both so I need to have different things
                    > for each. I have about
                    a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                    > some interesting reading
                    for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                    > kids have to keep a
                    notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                    > complete sentences. Any
                    suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                    > reading "A single Shard"
                    by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                    > how they would like it.
                    This is high school.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                      Our homeschool group just learned how to make indigenous pottery. We've all
                      been INTO it.

                      Anyway, our teacher, Tamara Beane - recommended a book called A SINGLE
                      SHARD. OMG we all loved it! The kids have passed our one copy around- from
                      ages 6-16. I read it too (39) - and its one of the best stories I've ever
                      read - with great work ethics and so much ART it in. WOW. You are never
                      old for a good story.

                      Here is a link to some lesson plans built around the book:
                      http://eduscapes.com/newbery/02a.htm <http://eduscapes.com/newbery/02a.htm>

                      And here's a link on Korean Pottery you might like - We did - check out the
                      the CELADON vases - http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm
                      <http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm> The vase
                      http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm <http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm> from
                      the 12th century with all the cranes inspired the book. It's a great link to
                      some beautiful stuff.

                      I would do what we did - have them TRY to make something first - then do the
                      book. Gosh our stuff all exploded. lol It makes you appreciate the work
                      of pottery to do good work and watch it explode in a fire. (The Cherokees
                      used open fires.)

                      Could you get them copies of this to read? Or pass ONE copy around in
                      class? This book gives you story, work ethics, art, geography, and
                      archeology all in one - and our kids loved it!

                      -Kristi Gilleland

                      ________________________________

                      <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , artgirl109@... wrote:

                      > Sorry,
                      > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                      > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                      > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                      > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                      > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                      > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                      > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                      > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                      > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                      > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                      > how they would like it. This is high school.
                      > susie
                      > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
                      > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                    • kathie omalley
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                        How about "Sudako and the Thousand Paper Cranes?"
                        I've used a shorter elementary level edition when
                        making origami cranes with my 5th grade classes. When
                        I taught middle school I read the original version of
                        the book to my 7-8 grade class as they folded. We
                        broke it down into several classes. We folded at
                        least 5 cranes and ran a string through them, stacking
                        them. On the bottom of the string they tied a small
                        bunch of long tensil to the string and hid the knot
                        inside the first crane body. On the top of the top
                        crane they embellished with beading going up the
                        string. I would do this in December. It was not an
                        ornament, it was a symbol of wishing for peace on
                        earth and they could easily relate to it as they were
                        seeing the same messages in Christmas cards at home
                        and Coke commercials on the TV! It was a good
                        sculpture link and multicultural link. It also was a
                        great read. The social message of valuing peace
                        really sticks.

                        --- Kristi Gilleland <ebay@...>

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                          ....What about the "Griffin and Sabine" books?- wow,
                          you could take those in lots of creative directions
                          and again, it's a compelling story. Give it a
                          "google" and see what you think,....

                        • Nancy
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006

                            Hi Kathie,

                            I checked on amazon and they don’t have this book.  Is this the correct title?  Could you tell me the author?

                            Thank you!

                            Nancy

                            --- Kristi Gilleland <ebay@billieellisont erry.com>
                            wrote:

                            > _____

                            Do You Yahoo!?
                            http://mail. yahoo.com

                          • smjahnle@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006
                              In a message dated 8/9/2006 8:55:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, artgirl109@... writes:
                              I found out
                              last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                              of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block.
                              Hi Susie:  How about the Newbery book From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigberg?  At my school, the art, music, gym and computer teachers will have to do "Activity Duty" period with the 7th and 8th graders this year.  I didn't want to do a strictly studio session with them, so I put together a unit based on this book, set in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  The school purchased a class set of the novel, and we'll read it together, then use laptops and studio projects to investigate certain aspects of the plot, the Met museum, Michelangelo, etc.  There are lots of fun related Webquests about this title, as well as most of the Newbery award winning books, online.  Another book I'd like to investigate in this way with the kids is Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet.  Good luck, SandyJ
                            • jdecker4art
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006
                                Greetings Nancy and all,

                                Here is the link to the book:
                                http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0698118022/002-6267821-6935206?
                                v=glance&n=283155
                                by Eleanor Coerr

                                "Nancy " wrote:

                                > Hi Kathie,

                                > I checked on amazon and they don't have this book. Is this the
                                correct
                                > title? Could you tell me the author?

                                > Nancy

                                > On Behalf Of kathie omalley

                                > How about "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes?"
                                > I've used a shorter elementary level edition when
                                > making origami cranes with my 5th grade classes. When
                                > I taught middle school I read the original version of
                                > the book to my 7-8 grade class as they folded.
                              • katday2001
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006
                                  I have my Art 1 class do a daily journal entry in their sketchbooks--
                                  usually responding to a reproduction or art's place in their world.
                                  Also, does anyone do the Scholastic Art magazine program? Every
                                  year I drool over their sample and decide our school cant' afford
                                  it, on top of all the supplies I ordered, but if you're talking
                                  about buying sets of books for everyone.... It's very nice quality
                                  and focuses on one movement or artist each month--will not fill up
                                  more than about an hour of class time to read and answer questions
                                  on all the articles...but always includes a lesson to go along with
                                  the topic.
                                  Kathleen
                                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, artgirl109@... wrote:

                                  > Sorry,
                                  > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found
                                  out
                                  > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15
                                  minutes
                                  > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block.
                                  We are
                                  > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different
                                  preps and
                                  > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different
                                  things
                                  > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking
                                  for
                                  > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class.
                                  The
                                  > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                                  > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I
                                  thought of
                                  > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not
                                  sure
                                  > how they would like it. This is high school.
                                  > susie

                                  ___
                                  > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures,
                                  email
                                  > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                                • candi price
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 13, 2006
                                    Hi Susie,

                                    I took a class called Reading in the Content Area through Western Mich. Univ. last year.  It was a great class and I learned a lot.  We read a great book called "Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?" by Cris Tovani.  It's a very short and easy read.  I highly recommend getting a copy and possibly getting the videos for staff development at your school.

                                    Among many topics, she writes about using "accessible text" to get students' attention and to get content across.  Examples of accessible text could be:  poems, fiction, picture books, newspaper articles, catalogs, internet pieces, historical recounts, song lyrics, letters, journals, maps, catalogs, magazine articles, quotes, biographical info, short non-fiction, etc.

                                    She also recommends gathering text sets:  a group of accessible texts that relate to  a theme.  Use different lengths of text, difficulty of texts, types of text, etc.

                                    I was so intrigued by the idea of text sets, I'm thinking about doing this as my final project in my masters program.  I teach elementary art and am finding some great texts for my older students.  Good luck with this!

                                    ~Candi Price

                                    Do you Yahoo!?
                                  • pent19
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 15, 2006
                                      Everyone is always mentioning such great resources on this group that
                                      it is hard to keep up with them all. I am a big fan of half.com (part
                                      of ebay) they sell new and used books at great prices. I have been
                                      keeping a wishlist of the books i want to buy, and buying some when i
                                      have the extra cash. I have also found some great art textbooks (From
                                      davis and glencoe publications) on here as well. They are older
                                      editions, but much cheaper than new editions. I have found many used
                                      books, dvds, and videos, that are offered in art supply catalogs for
                                      a fraction of the price. If you have some time spend it searching
                                      through here! I thought some of the budget conscious would enjoy this
                                      tidbit! Michele

                                    • MaryAnn F. Kohl
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 15, 2006
                                        Re: [art_education] Buying cheap books! (used book idea) Another great source that checks All Other Sources for used books is:

                                        http://www.addall.com
                                        Then select “used books”
                                        Next put in your keywords, and you will get a list of all the used book sellers who have the title and how much it costs from each one.