RE: [art_education] look for unusual drawing media

  • Hillmer, Jan
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 3 4:36 PM
      Sue, this sounds like fun!

      Once I did an after school class like this. We made a clay slab container, then dropped it and worked with the collapsed shape. We also painted with brooms ( http://www.chihuly.com/drawings/drbyseries.html). I cannot remember the other activites.... I wanted to paint T shirts with dye in waterguns, but when i saw who my students where, I decided against it.
      Hope this helps.

      Jan

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 3 4:44 PM
          NASCO sells Black glue   # 9724854
        Here's a recipe but I have never made it myself--I just buy it--so you may want to experiment with a small amount to see if it is what you want.....
         Mix black India ink or black paint with white Elmer's glue until you have black colored glue. Keep the glue in the glue bottle to make drawing with the glue easier to control. Note: Black powered tempra is ideal to mix with the white glue, although black paint will work as well.

      • Jan Vallar-Gillette
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 3 9:59 PM
          I've had my kids paint with fly swatters before. The
          paper turns out great!
          Jan VG

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Mikel Lee
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 4 1:38 PM
            You could cover the paper with charcoal, rub it in
            with a paper towel a couple of times to make the paper
            black and draw subtractively with erasers. - Mikel

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • kamla ravikumar
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 4 7:45 PM
              Hi,
              You could apply craft glue on your drawing in certain areas to give relief and paint with coloured inks.It gives amazing 2D effects to your picture.

              Have you tried Bread craft? Crumble bread and mix with craft glue and zinc-oxide powder.You can use the clay on any surface, before it dries.Its great for murals.

              Kamla

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • artgirl109@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 9 5:44 PM
                Dear Group,
                I found out last week that because we are now a "D" school every
                teacher needs to do 15 minutes of reading and writing at the beginning
                of our 80 minute block.

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 9 5:54 PM
                  Sorry,
                  I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                  last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                  of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                  in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                  have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                  for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                  some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                  kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                  complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                  reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                  how they would like it. This is high school.
                  susie
                  and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
                • Erica
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 9 6:06 PM
                    Ahhh, this sounds so familiar....by any chance are you teaching in Florida? I am a brand
                    new art teacher at a "D" school as well, and I am looking at facing a similar situation as the
                    FCAT approaches, and I have yet to find any good reading material that I feel would hold
                    relevance to art. So, unfortunately, I haven't any suggestions - but know you're not alone!
                    When I find something I'll send it your way!

                    *Erica*

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, artgirl109@... wrote:

                    > Sorry,
                    > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                    > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                    > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                    > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                    > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                    > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                    > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                    > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                    > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                    > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                    > how they would like it. This is high school.
                    > susie
                    > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
                    > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                  • Kristi Gilleland
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 9 6:13 PM

                      Ahhh, this sounds so familiar.... by any chance are you teaching in Florida? I am a brand
                      new art teacher at a "D" school as well, and I am looking at facing a similar situation as the
                      FCAT approaches, and I have yet to find any good reading material that I feel would hold
                      relevance to art. So, unfortunately, I haven't any suggestions - but know you're not alone!
                      When I find something I'll send it your way!

                      *Erica*

                      --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, artgirl109@. .. wrote:

                      > Sorry,
                      > I accidentally mailed
                      my response before completing it. I found out
                      > last week that because we
                      are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                      > of reading and writing at
                      the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                      > in on a A/B schedule. My
                      problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                      > have some of the same
                      kids in both so I need to have different things
                      > for each. I have about
                      a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                      > some interesting reading
                      for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                      > kids have to keep a
                      notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                      > complete sentences. Any
                      suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                      > reading "A single Shard"
                      by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                      > how they would like it.
                      This is high school.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 9 6:20 PM
                        Our homeschool group just learned how to make indigenous pottery. We've all
                        been INTO it.

                        Anyway, our teacher, Tamara Beane - recommended a book called A SINGLE
                        SHARD. OMG we all loved it! The kids have passed our one copy around- from
                        ages 6-16. I read it too (39) - and its one of the best stories I've ever
                        read - with great work ethics and so much ART it in. WOW. You are never
                        old for a good story.

                        Here is a link to some lesson plans built around the book:
                        http://eduscapes.com/newbery/02a.htm <http://eduscapes.com/newbery/02a.htm>

                        And here's a link on Korean Pottery you might like - We did - check out the
                        the CELADON vases - http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm
                        <http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm> The vase
                        http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm <http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm> from
                        the 12th century with all the cranes inspired the book. It's a great link to
                        some beautiful stuff.

                        I would do what we did - have them TRY to make something first - then do the
                        book. Gosh our stuff all exploded. lol It makes you appreciate the work
                        of pottery to do good work and watch it explode in a fire. (The Cherokees
                        used open fires.)

                        Could you get them copies of this to read? Or pass ONE copy around in
                        class? This book gives you story, work ethics, art, geography, and
                        archeology all in one - and our kids loved it!

                        -Kristi Gilleland

                        ________________________________

                        <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , artgirl109@... wrote:

                        > Sorry,
                        > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                        > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                        > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                        > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                        > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                        > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                        > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                        > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                        > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                        > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                        > how they would like it. This is high school.
                        > susie
                        > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
                        > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                      • kathie omalley
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 9 6:48 PM
                          How about "Sudako and the Thousand Paper Cranes?"
                          I've used a shorter elementary level edition when
                          making origami cranes with my 5th grade classes. When
                          I taught middle school I read the original version of
                          the book to my 7-8 grade class as they folded. We
                          broke it down into several classes. We folded at
                          least 5 cranes and ran a string through them, stacking
                          them. On the bottom of the string they tied a small
                          bunch of long tensil to the string and hid the knot
                          inside the first crane body. On the top of the top
                          crane they embellished with beading going up the
                          string. I would do this in December. It was not an
                          ornament, it was a symbol of wishing for peace on
                          earth and they could easily relate to it as they were
                          seeing the same messages in Christmas cards at home
                          and Coke commercials on the TV! It was a good
                          sculpture link and multicultural link. It also was a
                          great read. The social message of valuing peace
                          really sticks.

                          --- Kristi Gilleland <ebay@...>

                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 9 9:38 PM
                            ....What about the "Griffin and Sabine" books?- wow,
                            you could take those in lots of creative directions
                            and again, it's a compelling story. Give it a
                            "google" and see what you think,....

                          • Nancy
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 10 3:48 AM

                              Hi Kathie,

                              I checked on amazon and they don’t have this book.  Is this the correct title?  Could you tell me the author?

                              Thank you!

                              Nancy

                              --- Kristi Gilleland <ebay@billieellisont erry.com>
                              wrote:

                              > _____

                              Do You Yahoo!?
                              http://mail. yahoo.com

                            • smjahnle@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 10 5:26 AM
                                In a message dated 8/9/2006 8:55:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, artgirl109@... writes:
                                I found out
                                last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                                of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block.
                                Hi Susie:  How about the Newbery book From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigberg?  At my school, the art, music, gym and computer teachers will have to do "Activity Duty" period with the 7th and 8th graders this year.  I didn't want to do a strictly studio session with them, so I put together a unit based on this book, set in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  The school purchased a class set of the novel, and we'll read it together, then use laptops and studio projects to investigate certain aspects of the plot, the Met museum, Michelangelo, etc.  There are lots of fun related Webquests about this title, as well as most of the Newbery award winning books, online.  Another book I'd like to investigate in this way with the kids is Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet.  Good luck, SandyJ
                              • jdecker4art
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 10 6:17 AM
                                  Greetings Nancy and all,

                                  Here is the link to the book:
                                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0698118022/002-6267821-6935206?
                                  v=glance&n=283155
                                  by Eleanor Coerr

                                  "Nancy " wrote:

                                  > Hi Kathie,

                                  > I checked on amazon and they don't have this book. Is this the
                                  correct
                                  > title? Could you tell me the author?

                                  > Nancy

                                  > On Behalf Of kathie omalley

                                  > How about "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes?"
                                  > I've used a shorter elementary level edition when
                                  > making origami cranes with my 5th grade classes. When
                                  > I taught middle school I read the original version of
                                  > the book to my 7-8 grade class as they folded.
                                • katday2001
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 10 11:02 AM
                                    I have my Art 1 class do a daily journal entry in their sketchbooks--
                                    usually responding to a reproduction or art's place in their world.
                                    Also, does anyone do the Scholastic Art magazine program? Every
                                    year I drool over their sample and decide our school cant' afford
                                    it, on top of all the supplies I ordered, but if you're talking
                                    about buying sets of books for everyone.... It's very nice quality
                                    and focuses on one movement or artist each month--will not fill up
                                    more than about an hour of class time to read and answer questions
                                    on all the articles...but always includes a lesson to go along with
                                    the topic.
                                    Kathleen
                                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, artgirl109@... wrote:

                                    > Sorry,
                                    > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found
                                    out
                                    > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15
                                    minutes
                                    > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block.
                                    We are
                                    > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different
                                    preps and
                                    > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different
                                    things
                                    > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking
                                    for
                                    > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class.
                                    The
                                    > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                                    > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I
                                    thought of
                                    > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not
                                    sure
                                    > how they would like it. This is high school.
                                    > susie

                                    ___
                                    > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures,
                                    email
                                    > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                                  • candi price
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 13 9:50 PM
                                      Hi Susie,

                                      I took a class called Reading in the Content Area through Western Mich. Univ. last year.  It was a great class and I learned a lot.  We read a great book called "Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?" by Cris Tovani.  It's a very short and easy read.  I highly recommend getting a copy and possibly getting the videos for staff development at your school.

                                      Among many topics, she writes about using "accessible text" to get students' attention and to get content across.  Examples of accessible text could be:  poems, fiction, picture books, newspaper articles, catalogs, internet pieces, historical recounts, song lyrics, letters, journals, maps, catalogs, magazine articles, quotes, biographical info, short non-fiction, etc.

                                      She also recommends gathering text sets:  a group of accessible texts that relate to  a theme.  Use different lengths of text, difficulty of texts, types of text, etc.

                                      I was so intrigued by the idea of text sets, I'm thinking about doing this as my final project in my masters program.  I teach elementary art and am finding some great texts for my older students.  Good luck with this!

                                      ~Candi Price

                                      Do you Yahoo!?
                                    • pent19
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 15 7:40 AM
                                        Everyone is always mentioning such great resources on this group that
                                        it is hard to keep up with them all. I am a big fan of half.com (part
                                        of ebay) they sell new and used books at great prices. I have been
                                        keeping a wishlist of the books i want to buy, and buying some when i
                                        have the extra cash. I have also found some great art textbooks (From
                                        davis and glencoe publications) on here as well. They are older
                                        editions, but much cheaper than new editions. I have found many used
                                        books, dvds, and videos, that are offered in art supply catalogs for
                                        a fraction of the price. If you have some time spend it searching
                                        through here! I thought some of the budget conscious would enjoy this
                                        tidbit! Michele

                                      • MaryAnn F. Kohl
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 15 7:58 AM
                                          Re: [art_education] Buying cheap books! (used book idea) Another great source that checks All Other Sources for used books is:

                                          http://www.addall.com
                                          Then select “used books”
                                          Next put in your keywords, and you will get a list of all the used book sellers who have the title and how much it costs from each one.