look for unusual drawing media

  • Sue Stevens
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hi all!
      Hope everyone's summer is going well!
      I will be teaching a 'non-traditional media' course this year (twice!). We
      run it every other year, and on top of that, this will be the third time the
      course has been offered. So, I have been changing the course constantly!

      Although the course is 'non-traditional media' I still have to follow the
      basic curriculum standards.
      So, my way around that for drawing is to use non-traditional thing to draw
      with, rather than pencil all the time.

      In the past, I've tried...

      food colouring with brushes and Q-tips - worked really well to draw lines
      and to do some shading

      bleach with synthetic brushes - worked great, had to go outside - we 'drew'
      on constructon paper, so it turned white - won't do it again though - a bit
      dangerous with clothing

      dirt - didn't work that great - but we didn't really know what we were
      doing - might try it again

      coffee - fantastic results - used instant coffee - will do this again

      charcole - I've made my own in the past in a fire pit - really cool - used
      dowelling wrapped in tin foil until it turns to charcole.

      I'm going to try Kool-Aid this year (call it 'pop' art) - should behave just
      like food colouring I figure

      Any other suggestions of non-traditional media? Or....projects that you
      think might be non-traditional?
      I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, things that work well, etc....
      Thanks
      Sue
    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 3, 2006
        RE:   unusual drawing media

        How about drawing with glue?  white on black paper, black glue on white paper, colored glue???

      • Sue Stevens
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 3, 2006
          Oh yes, done that - should have put that on the list.....actually I'm going to try more of it this time around......black glue?  Do you add paint to the glue?
        • Hillmer, Jan
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 3, 2006
            Sue, this sounds like fun!

            Once I did an after school class like this. We made a clay slab container, then dropped it and worked with the collapsed shape. We also painted with brooms ( http://www.chihuly.com/drawings/drbyseries.html). I cannot remember the other activites.... I wanted to paint T shirts with dye in waterguns, but when i saw who my students where, I decided against it.
            Hope this helps.

            Jan

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 3, 2006
                NASCO sells Black glue   # 9724854
              Here's a recipe but I have never made it myself--I just buy it--so you may want to experiment with a small amount to see if it is what you want.....
               Mix black India ink or black paint with white Elmer's glue until you have black colored glue. Keep the glue in the glue bottle to make drawing with the glue easier to control. Note: Black powered tempra is ideal to mix with the white glue, although black paint will work as well.

            • Jan Vallar-Gillette
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 3, 2006
                I've had my kids paint with fly swatters before. The
                paper turns out great!
                Jan VG

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Mikel Lee
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 4, 2006
                  You could cover the paper with charcoal, rub it in
                  with a paper towel a couple of times to make the paper
                  black and draw subtractively with erasers. - Mikel

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • kamla ravikumar
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 4, 2006
                    Hi,
                    You could apply craft glue on your drawing in certain areas to give relief and paint with coloured inks.It gives amazing 2D effects to your picture.

                    Have you tried Bread craft? Crumble bread and mix with craft glue and zinc-oxide powder.You can use the clay on any surface, before it dries.Its great for murals.

                    Kamla

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • artgirl109@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                      Dear Group,
                      I found out last week that because we are now a "D" school every
                      teacher needs to do 15 minutes of reading and writing at the beginning
                      of our 80 minute block.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                        Sorry,
                        I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                        last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                        of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                        in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                        have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                        for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                        some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                        kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                        complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                        reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                        how they would like it. This is high school.
                        susie
                        and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
                      • Erica
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                          Ahhh, this sounds so familiar....by any chance are you teaching in Florida? I am a brand
                          new art teacher at a "D" school as well, and I am looking at facing a similar situation as the
                          FCAT approaches, and I have yet to find any good reading material that I feel would hold
                          relevance to art. So, unfortunately, I haven't any suggestions - but know you're not alone!
                          When I find something I'll send it your way!

                          *Erica*

                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, artgirl109@... wrote:

                          > Sorry,
                          > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                          > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                          > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                          > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                          > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                          > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                          > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                          > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                          > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                          > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                          > how they would like it. This is high school.
                          > susie
                          > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
                          > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                        • Kristi Gilleland
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006

                            Ahhh, this sounds so familiar.... by any chance are you teaching in Florida? I am a brand
                            new art teacher at a "D" school as well, and I am looking at facing a similar situation as the
                            FCAT approaches, and I have yet to find any good reading material that I feel would hold
                            relevance to art. So, unfortunately, I haven't any suggestions - but know you're not alone!
                            When I find something I'll send it your way!

                            *Erica*

                            --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, artgirl109@. .. wrote:

                            > Sorry,
                            > I accidentally mailed
                            my response before completing it. I found out
                            > last week that because we
                            are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                            > of reading and writing at
                            the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                            > in on a A/B schedule. My
                            problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                            > have some of the same
                            kids in both so I need to have different things
                            > for each. I have about
                            a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                            > some interesting reading
                            for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                            > kids have to keep a
                            notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                            > complete sentences. Any
                            suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                            > reading "A single Shard"
                            by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                            > how they would like it.
                            This is high school.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                              Our homeschool group just learned how to make indigenous pottery. We've all
                              been INTO it.

                              Anyway, our teacher, Tamara Beane - recommended a book called A SINGLE
                              SHARD. OMG we all loved it! The kids have passed our one copy around- from
                              ages 6-16. I read it too (39) - and its one of the best stories I've ever
                              read - with great work ethics and so much ART it in. WOW. You are never
                              old for a good story.

                              Here is a link to some lesson plans built around the book:
                              http://eduscapes.com/newbery/02a.htm <http://eduscapes.com/newbery/02a.htm>

                              And here's a link on Korean Pottery you might like - We did - check out the
                              the CELADON vases - http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm
                              <http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm> The vase
                              http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm <http://koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm> from
                              the 12th century with all the cranes inspired the book. It's a great link to
                              some beautiful stuff.

                              I would do what we did - have them TRY to make something first - then do the
                              book. Gosh our stuff all exploded. lol It makes you appreciate the work
                              of pottery to do good work and watch it explode in a fire. (The Cherokees
                              used open fires.)

                              Could you get them copies of this to read? Or pass ONE copy around in
                              class? This book gives you story, work ethics, art, geography, and
                              archeology all in one - and our kids loved it!

                              -Kristi Gilleland

                              ________________________________

                              <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , artgirl109@... wrote:

                              > Sorry,
                              > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found out
                              > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                              > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block. We are
                              > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different preps and
                              > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different things
                              > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking for
                              > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class. The
                              > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                              > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thought of
                              > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not sure
                              > how they would like it. This is high school.
                              > susie
                              > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
                              > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                            • kathie omalley
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                                How about "Sudako and the Thousand Paper Cranes?"
                                I've used a shorter elementary level edition when
                                making origami cranes with my 5th grade classes. When
                                I taught middle school I read the original version of
                                the book to my 7-8 grade class as they folded. We
                                broke it down into several classes. We folded at
                                least 5 cranes and ran a string through them, stacking
                                them. On the bottom of the string they tied a small
                                bunch of long tensil to the string and hid the knot
                                inside the first crane body. On the top of the top
                                crane they embellished with beading going up the
                                string. I would do this in December. It was not an
                                ornament, it was a symbol of wishing for peace on
                                earth and they could easily relate to it as they were
                                seeing the same messages in Christmas cards at home
                                and Coke commercials on the TV! It was a good
                                sculpture link and multicultural link. It also was a
                                great read. The social message of valuing peace
                                really sticks.

                                --- Kristi Gilleland <ebay@...>

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 9, 2006
                                  ....What about the "Griffin and Sabine" books?- wow,
                                  you could take those in lots of creative directions
                                  and again, it's a compelling story. Give it a
                                  "google" and see what you think,....

                                • Nancy
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006

                                    Hi Kathie,

                                    I checked on amazon and they don’t have this book.  Is this the correct title?  Could you tell me the author?

                                    Thank you!

                                    Nancy

                                    --- Kristi Gilleland <ebay@billieellisont erry.com>
                                    wrote:

                                    > _____

                                    Do You Yahoo!?
                                    http://mail. yahoo.com

                                  • smjahnle@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006
                                      In a message dated 8/9/2006 8:55:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, artgirl109@... writes:
                                      I found out
                                      last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15 minutes
                                      of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block.
                                      Hi Susie:  How about the Newbery book From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigberg?  At my school, the art, music, gym and computer teachers will have to do "Activity Duty" period with the 7th and 8th graders this year.  I didn't want to do a strictly studio session with them, so I put together a unit based on this book, set in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  The school purchased a class set of the novel, and we'll read it together, then use laptops and studio projects to investigate certain aspects of the plot, the Met museum, Michelangelo, etc.  There are lots of fun related Webquests about this title, as well as most of the Newbery award winning books, online.  Another book I'd like to investigate in this way with the kids is Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet.  Good luck, SandyJ
                                    • jdecker4art
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006
                                        Greetings Nancy and all,

                                        Here is the link to the book:
                                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0698118022/002-6267821-6935206?
                                        v=glance&n=283155
                                        by Eleanor Coerr

                                        "Nancy " wrote:

                                        > Hi Kathie,

                                        > I checked on amazon and they don't have this book. Is this the
                                        correct
                                        > title? Could you tell me the author?

                                        > Nancy

                                        > On Behalf Of kathie omalley

                                        > How about "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes?"
                                        > I've used a shorter elementary level edition when
                                        > making origami cranes with my 5th grade classes. When
                                        > I taught middle school I read the original version of
                                        > the book to my 7-8 grade class as they folded.
                                      • katday2001
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 10, 2006
                                          I have my Art 1 class do a daily journal entry in their sketchbooks--
                                          usually responding to a reproduction or art's place in their world.
                                          Also, does anyone do the Scholastic Art magazine program? Every
                                          year I drool over their sample and decide our school cant' afford
                                          it, on top of all the supplies I ordered, but if you're talking
                                          about buying sets of books for everyone.... It's very nice quality
                                          and focuses on one movement or artist each month--will not fill up
                                          more than about an hour of class time to read and answer questions
                                          on all the articles...but always includes a lesson to go along with
                                          the topic.
                                          Kathleen
                                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, artgirl109@... wrote:

                                          > Sorry,
                                          > I accidentally mailed my response before completing it. I found
                                          out
                                          > last week that because we are now a "D" school we have to do 15
                                          minutes
                                          > of reading and writing at the beginning of our 80 minute block.
                                          We are
                                          > in on a A/B schedule. My problem is that I teach 3 different
                                          preps and
                                          > have some of the same kids in both so I need to have different
                                          things
                                          > for each. I have about a half a set of "Art Talk". I'm looking
                                          for
                                          > some interesting reading for my ceramics, sculpture and 2D class.
                                          The
                                          > kids have to keep a notebook and all of the writing has to be in
                                          > complete sentences. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I
                                          thought of
                                          > reading "A single Shard" by Parks to my ceramics class but I'm not
                                          sure
                                          > how they would like it. This is high school.
                                          > susie

                                          ___
                                          > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures,
                                          email
                                          > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

                                        • candi price
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 13, 2006
                                            Hi Susie,

                                            I took a class called Reading in the Content Area through Western Mich. Univ. last year.  It was a great class and I learned a lot.  We read a great book called "Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?" by Cris Tovani.  It's a very short and easy read.  I highly recommend getting a copy and possibly getting the videos for staff development at your school.

                                            Among many topics, she writes about using "accessible text" to get students' attention and to get content across.  Examples of accessible text could be:  poems, fiction, picture books, newspaper articles, catalogs, internet pieces, historical recounts, song lyrics, letters, journals, maps, catalogs, magazine articles, quotes, biographical info, short non-fiction, etc.

                                            She also recommends gathering text sets:  a group of accessible texts that relate to  a theme.  Use different lengths of text, difficulty of texts, types of text, etc.

                                            I was so intrigued by the idea of text sets, I'm thinking about doing this as my final project in my masters program.  I teach elementary art and am finding some great texts for my older students.  Good luck with this!

                                            ~Candi Price

                                            Do you Yahoo!?
                                          • pent19
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 15, 2006
                                              Everyone is always mentioning such great resources on this group that
                                              it is hard to keep up with them all. I am a big fan of half.com (part
                                              of ebay) they sell new and used books at great prices. I have been
                                              keeping a wishlist of the books i want to buy, and buying some when i
                                              have the extra cash. I have also found some great art textbooks (From
                                              davis and glencoe publications) on here as well. They are older
                                              editions, but much cheaper than new editions. I have found many used
                                              books, dvds, and videos, that are offered in art supply catalogs for
                                              a fraction of the price. If you have some time spend it searching
                                              through here! I thought some of the budget conscious would enjoy this
                                              tidbit! Michele

                                            • MaryAnn F. Kohl
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 15, 2006
                                                Re: [art_education] Buying cheap books! (used book idea) Another great source that checks All Other Sources for used books is:

                                                http://www.addall.com
                                                Then select “used books”
                                                Next put in your keywords, and you will get a list of all the used book sellers who have the title and how much it costs from each one.