Re: First Day Class

  • Shellee
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
      I do not have much actual classroom experience but am currently taking
      a mentorship course for first year teachers. One of the things that
      was discussed that has really stuck with me is this. If you send a
      kid to the office or a detention room you are loosing out on building
      a relationship with that student! The principle or person in charge
      of a detention room will build that relationship, hhmmmm something to
      think about. It was stressed to us to have a concrete classroom
      management plan in writing befor the first day of class. Go over it
      thoroughly the first day and continue to stress it the first week of
      class. Give each student a copy and send it home with them to give to
      parents who are instucted to also go over it with thier child, sign it
      and return it during the first week.

      Be consistent in your dicipline. Keep a tight reign to begin, you can
      always loosen up as the students show responsibility and as you gain
      thier respect. Very important to have a consistant way of getting the
      classrooms attention and use it consistently. Example: When you say
      give me five and hold your hand up and count off using your fingers
      and no voice, students are to hold thier hands up and count off using
      only thier fingers. By the time you reach your thumb the whole class
      should be quiet, facing you and have thier hands in the air. Thank
      them and continue on or begin with what you need to talk about.

      Sketch book ideas - I am in the process of developing a list of
      subjects and themes, some out door and some indoor since I would like
      them to observe both environments and because our winters are too cold
      to be out doors. Each week will be a different theme and they will
      have to complete 2 or 3 sketches of different objects or views based
      on the subject. I plan on posting this list and each week the class
      will choose and agree on a topic. Ideas for topics: outdoor light
      posts (who can find and illustrate the most interesting one in the
      community), gates, bridges, railroads, garbage, billboards, signs,
      unique architectural moldings, main street, kitchen appliances, tools,
      doors, lighting, shoes, drapery, winter wear, and so on and so on. I
      plan to use the start of class on mondays to have class critique of
      each students favorite sketch from thier weekly sketches.

      Shellee
    • gabrielalealvega
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2007
        Thanks so much for these words... i wish i have read them before, I
        just finished with these upperschool kids and now i am moving to
        teach elementary students... these tips will still be very helpful
        for my next elementary classes and if i get to teach uppperschool
        next school year, i would probably used some of your ideas. thank
        you so much...
        gabriela