Re: First Day Class

  • Jeanette
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hola Gabriela!
      first day of school, I always do my classroom rules. very simple, as
      I have only ONE - Respect- this covers everything as far as I can
      tell. Be consistant and make sure you follow thru with anything you
      say to the kids.
      Get Harry wongs book, "first days of school" it is invaluable to all
      teachers. Read it, again and again!
      teens will push you as much as they can and its hard to get them to
      see that you are there to HELP them! they all seem to view us as the
      enemy.
      I hope all will be great for you this yr.
      Toma cuidate amiga
      Jeanette

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "gabrielalealvega"
      <gabrielalealvega@...> wrote:

      > greeting from tampico, mexico!
      > We will soon be starting the new school year and I am getting very
      > nervous... it seems to be my first year teaching art but its funny
      > because it is not! this would be my 8th year teaching... but my
      3rd
      > teaching high school... lots of detentions and punishments for
      these
      > kids...
      > do you have any discipline ideas and rules for the first days of
      > class? I have learned a lot but I need something easy to follow up
      and
      > maybe a miracle could help me!
      > any ideas for sketch books?
      > thanks
      > gabriela

    • Shellee
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
        I do not have much actual classroom experience but am currently taking
        a mentorship course for first year teachers. One of the things that
        was discussed that has really stuck with me is this. If you send a
        kid to the office or a detention room you are loosing out on building
        a relationship with that student! The principle or person in charge
        of a detention room will build that relationship, hhmmmm something to
        think about. It was stressed to us to have a concrete classroom
        management plan in writing befor the first day of class. Go over it
        thoroughly the first day and continue to stress it the first week of
        class. Give each student a copy and send it home with them to give to
        parents who are instucted to also go over it with thier child, sign it
        and return it during the first week.

        Be consistent in your dicipline. Keep a tight reign to begin, you can
        always loosen up as the students show responsibility and as you gain
        thier respect. Very important to have a consistant way of getting the
        classrooms attention and use it consistently. Example: When you say
        give me five and hold your hand up and count off using your fingers
        and no voice, students are to hold thier hands up and count off using
        only thier fingers. By the time you reach your thumb the whole class
        should be quiet, facing you and have thier hands in the air. Thank
        them and continue on or begin with what you need to talk about.

        Sketch book ideas - I am in the process of developing a list of
        subjects and themes, some out door and some indoor since I would like
        them to observe both environments and because our winters are too cold
        to be out doors. Each week will be a different theme and they will
        have to complete 2 or 3 sketches of different objects or views based
        on the subject. I plan on posting this list and each week the class
        will choose and agree on a topic. Ideas for topics: outdoor light
        posts (who can find and illustrate the most interesting one in the
        community), gates, bridges, railroads, garbage, billboards, signs,
        unique architectural moldings, main street, kitchen appliances, tools,
        doors, lighting, shoes, drapery, winter wear, and so on and so on. I
        plan to use the start of class on mondays to have class critique of
        each students favorite sketch from thier weekly sketches.

        Shellee
      • gabrielalealvega
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2007
          Thanks so much for these words... i wish i have read them before, I
          just finished with these upperschool kids and now i am moving to
          teach elementary students... these tips will still be very helpful
          for my next elementary classes and if i get to teach uppperschool
          next school year, i would probably used some of your ideas. thank
          you so much...
          gabriela