need help please

  • Jeanette
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
      I am finding out the more I look for work, that I am probably going to
      HAVE to take the Praxis exam. My state has a totally different exam for
      certification and most of the other states only accept the praxis.
      Being I been out of school for almost three yrs, I am terrified at the
      prospect of taking another test. I had to really study hard for the one
      I did take here!
      If there is anyone out there that can assist me and let me know what is
      on the praxis for art teachers so I can at least be prepared before I
      take it?
      Thanks for the help
    • Patricia Jones Brigman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
        Hi Jeanette!  I've taken all three Praxis exams for art, and this was after more than 20 years since I received my degree in art!  I was very nervous and it was hard, but I did it!  I had to pass all three of them to be able to work on my alternative certification here in Arkansas.   Which one(s) are you planning to take?
        Patti

        Patti Brigman
        Art Teacher
        Walker Elementary

        I am finding out the more I look for work, that I am probably going to
        HAVE to take the Praxis exam. My state has a totally different exam for
        certification and most of the other states only accept the praxis.
        Being I been out of school for almost three yrs, I am terrified at the
        prospect of taking another test. I had to really study hard for the one
        I did take here!
        If there is anyone out there that can assist me and let me know what is
        on the praxis for art teachers so I can at least be prepared before I
        take it?
        Thanks for the help

      • Lee & Kathleen Day
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
          In my state, you can get hired and take the praxis within 2 years.  Would that help, working with the material before taking it?  I took it, I studied, and it was hard.  In fact, I went through the questions in a panic, guessing at more than half.  Then, I went back and approached them logically.  There was an ancient statue, for instance, and 2 choices of its source were Roman or Greek.  Romans copied the Greeks!  It could be either one!!!!!!  Then, I remembered that the Romans destroyed much of Greek art and most of what remains are Roman copies.

          There are too many questions on artist and movement, so study those.  I had ignored photography entirely (don't).  And, go back over the test in a calm, logical manner.  I ended up missing only a few.  Hope this help.  Kathleen Day, Missouri
        • sueallen_art
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2006
            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia Jones Brigman"
            <pbrigman@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jeanette! I've taken all three Praxis exams for art, and this
            was after
            > more than 20 years since I received my degree in art! I was very
            nervous
            > and it was hard, but I did it! I had to pass all three of them to
            be able
            > to work on my alternative certification here in Arkansas. Which
            one(s) are
            > you planning to take?
            > Patti
            >
            > Patti Brigman
            > Art Teacher
            > Walker Elementary

            Patti:
            I have to take the PRAXIS art exam also (only the first one right
            now - but I want to get them all out of the way as soon as I can. Do
            you know of any good study guides or resources to suggest for
            studying to prepare for the exams?
            Sue