Re: [art_education] First Day Class

  • piketeach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
      As a veteran art teachder (14 yr-hi school & 6 yr-mid-school), if you rely on detentions and punishments to give you classroom control your looking for answers in the wrong places. They have their place but they should be the last tools in your arsenal.  I've found that having a few simple rules and being consistent in applying them.  However, that only works if you take the time from DAY ONE to make those expectations absolutely clear.  I devote most of the first 3 days going over classroom expectations, these include behavior as well as what is expected from them in terms of quality of work and other classroom procedures. The old axiom is true "No learning can take place until you have established class control."

      As to nuts and bolts, a typical classroom rule is "Follow all directions the first time they are given.", I take the time to let my kids know that this rule and any others in class is not a demand for any new behavior on their part.  Rather it is the exact same bahavior that their parents have had for them since they were toddlers.  I ask them to give me examples from their own life where a parent asked them to do something simple and they blew them off; I then pose the question "Was Mom/Dad upset because you didn't do the chore or was it because you ignored what they told you."

      When you can relate your expectations to their real lives, not just to school, you'll have good results.

      One last tip, learn to be aware of everything going on in the classroom, if you focus so intently on what your doing with one student trouble will brew elsewhere.

      A little long winded but hopefully helpful.

      Terry

    • Jeanette
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hola Gabriela!
        first day of school, I always do my classroom rules. very simple, as
        I have only ONE - Respect- this covers everything as far as I can
        tell. Be consistant and make sure you follow thru with anything you
        say to the kids.
        Get Harry wongs book, "first days of school" it is invaluable to all
        teachers. Read it, again and again!
        teens will push you as much as they can and its hard to get them to
        see that you are there to HELP them! they all seem to view us as the
        enemy.
        I hope all will be great for you this yr.
        Toma cuidate amiga
        Jeanette

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "gabrielalealvega"
        <gabrielalealvega@...> wrote:

        > greeting from tampico, mexico!
        > We will soon be starting the new school year and I am getting very
        > nervous... it seems to be my first year teaching art but its funny
        > because it is not! this would be my 8th year teaching... but my
        3rd
        > teaching high school... lots of detentions and punishments for
        these
        > kids...
        > do you have any discipline ideas and rules for the first days of
        > class? I have learned a lot but I need something easy to follow up
        and
        > maybe a miracle could help me!
        > any ideas for sketch books?
        > thanks
        > gabriela

      • Shellee
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
          I do not have much actual classroom experience but am currently taking
          a mentorship course for first year teachers. One of the things that
          was discussed that has really stuck with me is this. If you send a
          kid to the office or a detention room you are loosing out on building
          a relationship with that student! The principle or person in charge
          of a detention room will build that relationship, hhmmmm something to
          think about. It was stressed to us to have a concrete classroom
          management plan in writing befor the first day of class. Go over it
          thoroughly the first day and continue to stress it the first week of
          class. Give each student a copy and send it home with them to give to
          parents who are instucted to also go over it with thier child, sign it
          and return it during the first week.

          Be consistent in your dicipline. Keep a tight reign to begin, you can
          always loosen up as the students show responsibility and as you gain
          thier respect. Very important to have a consistant way of getting the
          classrooms attention and use it consistently. Example: When you say
          give me five and hold your hand up and count off using your fingers
          and no voice, students are to hold thier hands up and count off using
          only thier fingers. By the time you reach your thumb the whole class
          should be quiet, facing you and have thier hands in the air. Thank
          them and continue on or begin with what you need to talk about.

          Sketch book ideas - I am in the process of developing a list of
          subjects and themes, some out door and some indoor since I would like
          them to observe both environments and because our winters are too cold
          to be out doors. Each week will be a different theme and they will
          have to complete 2 or 3 sketches of different objects or views based
          on the subject. I plan on posting this list and each week the class
          will choose and agree on a topic. Ideas for topics: outdoor light
          posts (who can find and illustrate the most interesting one in the
          community), gates, bridges, railroads, garbage, billboards, signs,
          unique architectural moldings, main street, kitchen appliances, tools,
          doors, lighting, shoes, drapery, winter wear, and so on and so on. I
          plan to use the start of class on mondays to have class critique of
          each students favorite sketch from thier weekly sketches.

          Shellee
        • gabrielalealvega
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2007
            Thanks so much for these words... i wish i have read them before, I
            just finished with these upperschool kids and now i am moving to
            teach elementary students... these tips will still be very helpful
            for my next elementary classes and if i get to teach uppperschool
            next school year, i would probably used some of your ideas. thank
            you so much...
            gabriela