Re: [art_education] canvas question

  • Kidlfrndly@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
      Dear Amanda,

            There are some different types of canvas of varying weights and qualities for sale in fabric stores like the Rag Shop. It can usually be found near the broad striped canvas that is used for window awnings.(They also have plain white.) There is also a coated canvas that I have used for banners. I would think if you found one of and appropriate weight, stretched it, and used Gesso, it would work. I would buy a small piece and try it out, though, to make sure that the fabric could survive the stapling and stretching without running or tearing. Don't forget, usually in the Sunday paper, there are 40% off coupons for one item at the Rag Shop. That would be quite a savings if  you were to purchase one piece that was several yards long. Hope this helps!!
      Lisa Varuolo
    • Woody Duncan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
        You can go to a fabric store and buy duck cloth.
        Woody in KC

        --
        28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
        in powerpoint format, on one CD $15

        This one soars:
      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
          Thanks very much for the responses.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "The Austin's" <whest177@w...>
          wrote:
          > I have used bed sheets many times for paintings. Once you stretch
          and gesso
          > them the difference is very subtle. My students seem to think that
          all
          > "great" art is done on canvas, and that canvas boards are the
          ultimate in
          > quality. SO I have my students paint on all different kinds of
          surfaces.
          > Gesso'ed paper is one of my favorites, as well as masonite. Oh,
          and the
          > reason I've used bed sheets is that dollar for dollar, a bed sheet
          is
          > cheaper than buying x number of yards of white cotton cloth at Wal-
          Mart.